How To: No lines between scenes and ignore chapters

I’m playing around with compiling in order to learn more about how it works …

I like to know, as I’m writing/outlining, how many scenes I will. I do that by compiling just the scene titles, and incude the <$n> placeholder. I get a result like this:

That’s okay, but ideally there would be no extra lines between the scene titles, and it wouldn’t jump to a new page for each chapter.

Is there a way to do that?

Thank you.

If the chapter separator is causing a page / section break, change it in the separator panel to something that doesn’t casue a page / section break.

If the lines are blank lines (paragraph returns), remove them in the formatting panel.

If the lines are paragraph spacing instead, change the paragraph spacing in the formatting panel.

See the sample attached, compiling with “Chapters and Scenes”.

Slàinte mhòr.

Outline.zip (89.8 KB)

Outline.pdf (25.7 KB)

Al, I understand you’ve only just recently moved over to the Mac / Scrivener V3 — apologise if you already know about this feature, which gives you a quick and dirty method of seeing your scene numbers. (Of course there are plenty of other reasons for compiling — this is just a ‘you may find it useful…’).

Outline mode now has a facility to show dynamic scene numbering (ie move the scene and the number changes) — it reflects binder depth, so if you just have scenes, then you’ll get 1. / 2. etc, if you have Chapters with Scenes in folders you’ll get 1. / 1.1 / 1.2 / 1.3 / 2. / 2.1 etc. To switch it on, got to View > Outliner Options and tick With Numbers.

If you want to print this out, while you’re in the Outline, go to Page Setup (cmd-shift-p) and choose Scrivener from the drop down list, then go to the Outlines tab. There’s a tick box for Prefix titles with number, alongside several others, so you can replicate the quick and dirty outline view…

Regards.

Thanks. Both of those solutions worked.

Welcome.

Slàinte mhòr.