How to re-edit my published eBook in Scrivener

How to do major re-edit of my published eBook in Scrivener, preserving the hotlinks etc.?
I have succesfully used Scrivener to create a sizeable book (160k words with 400+ references), and now want to create and publish a much shorter version.
I had exported the book from Scrivener as an epub and used Sigil for my final editing and fixing of TOCs and hotlinks, plus many subsequent corrections and additions.

I would like to use Scrivener to massively re-edit what is now in epub format, but I dont want to simply convert the epub to text and lose the hotlinks.
Can anyone suggest a way back that will preserve all my hotlinks?

I dont want to go back to my original Scrivener version as there have been so many edits since then.

Did you delete the original Scrivener project? Why not just copy that and make the changes you want?

"Did you delete the original Scrivener project? "
No, but it contains vast numbers of errors and omissions. It would be a nightmare doing all the changes. it is 160,000 words long. I am sure that I would reintroduce many new errors in doing it this way.

You’re braver than me then if you corrected all those many errors and omissions in Sigil!!! I would have corrected them in Scrivener first and then re-compiled the epub again. In fact it is what I do. When revising my texts I compile to EPUB format, copy the file over to my iPad and then annotate the current version. Those iBook annotations are emailed back to my Mac and incorporated into Scrivener. I never make content corrections in anything other than Scrivener.

You don’t have that situation. If I were to do what you have I would now be thinking about how to get the “corrected” text back into Scrivener easily. I might (and on one occasion did) use Sigil to open the book and then copy and paste the text into the appropriate Scrivener document. It was a one off so not that tedious to do; my only use of Sigil is to alter the CSS specifications and usages. You could try that but it will be tedious. I find Sigil’s default font size too small so I might use the ePub-Catalog add-on to the Firefox browser and copy and paste the published text from there. That will be just as tedious as doing it from Sigil — possibly worse as ePub-Catalog has a very small “screen”/“page” size so there could be more fragments to copy and paste. And either way made all the more tedious by the likely loss of any formatting.

With lots of corrections to make I might use pandoc or some other tool to convert the EPUB version to linear text (either a .doc or .txt file) and then import the result into a fresh Scrivener project. Splitting the one long file into separate documents and recreating the Binder folders along the way. Although if I thought this was going to be something I had to do more than the once then I would write myself a pandoc Customer Writer (in lua) in an effort to recreate the TOC and other linkages within the EPUB version and File > Import the custom output back into Scrivener. If I had a few days I might even consider writing a Scrivener Custom Writer for pandoc so I could open rather than import the project but that would require decoding the Scrivener formats too.

As EPUB is really nothing more than a ZIP file with a different file extension and specific additional content. You could unzip the file and then grab the HTML that make up the “pages” and import them into Scrivener.

Whatever you use you will have additional work to do. It might just be easier to “bite the bullet” and make those corrections again in Scrivener.

Thanks reepicheep.
I had switched out of Scrivener because the Windows version I am using did not allow me to work with the hotlinks as I needed. Ideally I would never need to use anything but Scrivener.

I have now managed to get the text into Scrivener as follows:
Import the epub file into Sigil
Select the files with content
Merge these files into a single html file and Save it
Change the filetype from epub to zip.
Confirm Yes
Right click/ Extract All
Open folder/ Find file in OEBPS/Text
Import into Scrivener

This does not recreate the hotlinked footnotes, but the links are numbered, as are the footnotes, so I should easly be able to update the links.