How to Save or Export Styles

New to V3 and new RC imminent. Dont know how to save styles and paragraph formatting so that i can import into next version.
Also, is there a way to propagate paragraph formatting through an entire project rather than copy and paste?

Hi Dadooqs,

Good questions. :slight_smile:

Styles and paragraph formatting are saved with the project, so uninstalling and reinstalling Scrivener will have no impact. For more info, see the manual (Help > Scrivener Manual), section 17.2, The Basics of Styles.

That said, please note that the project stylesheet and Scrivener’s option settings are different things. The option settings are anything you can change via the File > Options dialogues. If you move to the next beta by uninstalling/reinstalling Scrivener, be sure to save your customized options prior to the uninstall step, by doing File > Options > Manage > Save Options to File. After you complete the install step, launch Scrivener and then do File > Options > Manage > Load Options from File to restore your options back.

Have a look at this L&L Knowledge Base article, which describes how to do it: https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/features-and-usage/how-do-i-fix-or-convert-formatting-in-my-project Let me know me know if you have any questions about it.

Best,
Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim. I had used the method described in your link to propagate project-level defaults for fonts throughout the project but there does not appear to be project-level settings for paragraph formats, which seem to be done on a selected paragraph basis. So far I have only found the copy and paste method suggested.

Paragraph formatting options are under File > Options > Editing > Formatting, look to the right of the Font and Highlighting icons.

If you don’t see them, you may be experiencing a bug discussed in this thread: [url][LH4540] RC19 Interface bug on Formatting Options screen - #4 by JimRac] In that case, expand the windows until you see them.

Best,
Jim

A very small bug in the scheme of things when there’s a simple workaround.
Thanks for your help.

If you want to migrate styles from one project to another, in the target project use Format > Styles > Import Styles…

or set up a project template with the styles already set.

At least that’s the way it works on the Mac!

:slight_smile:

Mark

Glad you got it sorted!

Please note that the default paragraph settings, as they are Options, are not part of the project stylesheet–they are global to all projects, and so will need to be saved as part of the File > Options > Manage > Save Options to File exercise I mentioned in the earlier post.

In the interest of full disclosure, you can also set project-specific (not global across projects) formatting under Project > Project Settings > Formatting. These would be specific to the individual project, and I believe are saved with the individual project like stylesheets are.

This is Scrivener’s blessing–lots of flexibility–and Scrivener’s curse–lots to remember. :slight_smile:

Best,
Jim