How to see chapter numbers in Scrivenings View

Hi all,

Doing quite well with Scrivener after several months use now. Getting to that point where I don’t know what I would do without it. Having used a lot of authoring software, some cheaper, some more expensive, some astronomically expensive, this makes me very happy. And, I’m still learning.

I searched the Forum and didn’t find this topic per se, so here is my question:

Is there some way to see chapter numbers on the folders in the Binder using Scrivenings View on the computer screen?

Some of my books have 50 to 60 chapters. I also co-author, and bill using Chapter Numbers, and Scene headings/numbers to record hours and progress on QuickBooks timesheets. I know I can type in 1,2,3…, but that has all sorts of issues with it during WIP, while organizing the story. I know I can use Chapter Headings to bill rather than numbers, but that doesn’t provide my clients with the type of (warm fuzzy) progress indicators that chapter numbers provide. I know I can compile the book and all is fine, but this is a labor intensive way to answer a relatively simple question for myself during the book’s WIP period.

I’m looking for a way to do this without having to compile. Any ideas, work-arounds, and so forth are appreciated.

Blessings to all !
Dan H

I’m sorry, but no, that’s not possible.

It is possible to see card numbers in the Corkboard view: View -> Corkboard Options -> Card Numbers.

But I’m afraid none of the other views have this capability.

Katherine

Thank you for the feedback. There is some utility there, if I format my writing in advance to accommodate that feature, which is possible to some degree of accuracy for my purposes. And, that is a feature I didn’t know existed, so you’ve educated me in that regard.

Kind regards,
Dan H.

Personally, I find it more useful to use titles in my draft, even if I don’t use them in the final version. “Greg climbs the tower” has a great deal more meaning than “Chapter 32” (to me at least), and it doesn’t matter if I decide to put another chapter in front of it; it’ll still be “Greg climbs the tower”, whereas the previous Chapter 32 is now Chapter 33.

I know my methods don’t work for everyone, but I thought I’d share anyway.

Thanks for the share. I hardily agree. However, when I’m co-authoring, ghostwriting, or editing I bill someone else for what I’m doing. Chaptering is just the simplest way to do this on an invoice and a timecard for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with manuscript development.

When I’m authoring on my own, I too use your method as it helps me keep clear in my mind what scenes are incorporated, where there are gaps to fill, and so forth. If it were me writing for me, which is Scrivener’s primary customer base I should think, I wouldn’t have brought up the question because chapter numbers are fuzzy, vague, and changing, so they mean little during a story’s development (to me).

With first-time authors what I get is all over the road. One author, who is on her 2nd book, gives me an extremely large rectangular block of words that is her 80k word novel. Zero paragraphing, chaptering, and so forth. No quotes for dialog, nothing. I then use Scrivener to “block out” the book into scenes and chapters so that I can copyedit, content edit, and story edit her novel. Then, I export from Scrivener to Word so that I can track my copyedit changes in a way that she can digest (she uses Open Office BTW, and won’t pay a penny for software). So how can someone afford $2k for me to do this and not afford Scrivener? Lord only knows, but that’s the way she likes to work, so who am I to complain?? I’ve tried repeatedly to get her to purchase some writing software, even if it’s the open source yWriter, but she won’t budge. She “channels” her novels, and such things interfere with the process. Not my way, but it is a way I suppose. Her stories are quite good for 1st drafts, which is where I start with her.

Although, I must admit, I couldn’t shut my eyes and write for hours day after day. I would be too paranoid that I was typing gibberish if nothing else. lol.

Well, I’m rambling. Thank you again for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Blessings!
Dan

No… paragraphs… ? ?

??

???

I think that anecdote just broke my brain.

ROFL. Honestly, it is intimidating at first glance to see an 80,000 word paragraph, and realize your job is to turn it into a finished book worthy of reading. Like standing at the base of Mount Everest, looking up and realizing your job is to get to the top rather expeditiously. You’ve climbed plenty of mountains before, but never a mountain like this.

She was quite pleased to see her work in finished book form, after editing, typesetting, and cover design were complete. It was as if she were viewing someone else’s work rather than her own.

She’s a nice friendly client. Fun to work with. And, I’ve worked diligently to coach her that it “helps” her writing if she will attempt to organize her content into paragraphs — or at least scenes — and it will be much more economical to edit future works.

My understanding is that my argument isn’t persuasive on the other side of the veil from which these novels originate. There is no paragraphing in channeling. That, of course, makes all the sense in the world to her. I understand the novel she’s working on now will likely be longer than the last. A super-mega paragraph.

Cheers!

I suppose you can be thankful that she uses punctuation and the space bar. And for the resulting pay check. :stuck_out_tongue:

AMEN!

There is no Chapter Number option even in the Corkboard. I am using a Windows version that I purchased about one month ago. How can I see chapter numbers while working? I’m finding it very difficult to keep things straight without them in the binder–or corkboard for that matter.

There is no chapter numbering within Scrivener. You’ll have to rely on document titles to keep up with what is happening where. It’s just not possible to have all that Scrivener can offer and still have it dynamically re-number chapters in the binder when you move things around, or change the compile settings to exclude or re-include some documents.

You don’t have to let the compile settings add in the titles if you don’t want them there, which makes them even more useful, as they can be used solely to jog your memory as to what happens in that document.