How to see entire library at once?

I’m currently using Ulysses and looking at Scrivener. For me, the biggest draw of Ulysses is the layout (plus how easy it is to use). On the left of the window I can see all my projects (novels, short story collections, etc.) and so can always see at a glance what projects I’m working on and can move easily between them (and then hide that when I don’t need to see it). The biggest drawback is markdown. I write a lot of poetry and inserting markdown becomes a huge waste of time.

So I downloaded Scrivener knowing there’s a huge learning curve. What I can’t figure out is if there’s a way to see your entire library at once. As much as I hate markdown, the inability to see my entire library at once would be a dealbreaker for me. Is there any way to make that happen that I’m just not seeing? Is Scrivener a good option for someone who loves Ulysses but can’t handle markdown?

If you put all of your work in one project, it’s pretty much the same as in Ulysses. The Scrivener “Binder” would be your complete library.

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look at our Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu. It’s a good overview of Scrivener’s fundamental operations.

1 Like

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

1 Like

I’ve already started on it, but there’s a bit of a learning curve and I wanted to see if this particular thing was possible before I put too much time into learning.

If you put all the projects in one folder in the file system, they’ll appear together in that folder … not in Scrivener, but in the Files or Finder app.

1. You can easily maintain a heads-up list of projects by Favoriting, and, 2) once you get further into how Scrivener works, you will realize you won’t have as many projects as you think.

There isn’t a library-of-projects view per se, but Scrivener projects are incredibly capacious. I use Scrivener for more or less everything and have been for years, but functionally all this happens within a handful of core projects which I have added to Scrivener’s Favorites menu (File > Favorites).

For example, absolutely all of your poetry writing ever can easily and happily live within a single project — and benefit from it — even groups of poems destined for different collections. The same would be true for short stories. All the short stories you write can happily and usefully live in a single Scriv project.

With few exceptions, I do keep all my Scriv projects in a single folder on my Mac — so this is where any Scriv projects which I am not making regular use of are to be found.

2 Likes