How to Set Defaults for Text Editor?

I’d like to set the default page/line width (as reported by the ruler in the Text Editor) in one place and have that used in any text pages I create.

Is that possible?

Supposedly, you should be able to set the position of the right margin under Tools|Options|Editor. I’ve found that it does not always work for me, though.

The solution I use is to set the line length under the line spacing parameters, like on the picture below. I set the ruler units to picas, then 40 picas as a right margin gives me 66 characters per line on a 12 point font.

Line length.PNG
Hope this helps!

Thanks! I’ll give that a try.

I just tried this and the right-hand margin only goes to 6 inches. I’d like to get it out to 6.5 which would be standard for 8.5 x 11 paper. I know it doesn’t make any difference for compiling, but it makes me feel good. :smiley:

I’d appreciate it if you could tell me where this dialog can be accessed. I can’t find it. Nor can I find any reference to “line spacing dialog” in the manual.

There is a line spacing dialogue in Options / Editor then click the little arrow in the box at the top with the line spacing 1.0x and when that little menu opens select more.

Perhaps I used the wrong term. I’m looking to set the line width to 6.5 inches.

If you want to use this trick to do so, just set your ruler units to inches and then set the right margin to 6,5" on the dialogue box pointed out above.

(Could you find it? The manual is quite obscure about the details of this, but you can search for references to Other Spacing to get some context.)

Yes, I did find it, finally. Can’t remember exactly where, but I did.

Thanks.