How to Sync between Laptop and Desktop?

Hello folks,

I stopped using Scrivener for a while and then had some changes to my desktop which has made me forget some of the settings that I need to sync. I’m on a Mac and forgot how to try and sync between the laptop and desktop? Also how do I locate where Scrivener files are located? Basically need to do a fresh reset of setting sync up.

Thank you.

Hi!

Scrivener does not perform a synchronization between devices. To synchronize between devices you need a third-party program, you just have to use and configure a client (Dropbox, Mega, iCloud, etc.) so that a chosen folder (or set of folders) is saved “in the cloud”. It does not matter if it is a computer or mobile device. Nor does it matter, except in some cases, the operating system. The operation is the same.

Your project is located where you previously saved it. You can find out, for example, by going to the “save as” option and viewing the selected folder. You can also set a different location for backups. It is important that you also have them synchronized to avoid accidental data loss.

Regards.

1 Like

Thanks @Adrlopgal, I have Dropbox, iCloud and Onedrive, which one would you recommend and how do I go about configuring it in Scrivener please?

Hello. I don’t use any of those. I only use Mega and Nextcloud (the latter only works with its own servers or certain community websites, such as Disroot). Mega works wonderfully. And I also know from other users’ feedback that Dropbox works fine. In fact, the iOS version uses it by default.

Onedrive and Google Drive services are terrible with Scrivener. And iCloud, I don’t know, but Apple scan all uploaded files and is notorious for sending and receiving passwords in plain text. When Apple talks about security or privacy, it means that its devices are safe and private towards third parties. They do know everything about you.

Regards.

1 Like

There’s nothing to scan if you encrypt iCloud drive. I wouldn’t sync (unzipped) Scrivener projects using iCloud, of course, but for other reasons. Like project integrity. It’s just too unpredictable.

1 Like

With a third-party program, of course. No one should entrust their keys to a neighbor known for snooping where (s)he shouldn’t. :upside_down_face:

Regards.

1 Like

That’s why they don’t have my keys anymore. Literally. (This wasn’t possible until very recently, you may refer to a time when Apple also had the encryption keys.)

1 Like

You don’t. You install e.g. Dropbox, and then save your Scrivener project in the Dropbox folder on your computer (e.g. ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox or better ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/Scrivener) and Dropbox works the magic. But first, please read:

https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/cloud-syncing/using-scrivener-with-cloud-sync-services

3 Likes

Many thanks to all of you for your replies!

How can I find where all my current Scriv projects are saved so I can move them over to the Dropbox folder?

1 Like

They may be stored in different locations, so the easiest way is probably opening a new Finder window, search for *.scriv (“on this Mac”) and move the results to your Dropbox folder. That’s what I would do.

1 Like

Also see section 14.3 of the “Scrivener Manual” for setting up Dropbox–a good way, as others have suggested, to do what you want.

1 Like

Ok thank you all, I’ve just found all the .scriv files and moved them over to a folder on Dropbox.

Can I ask, is this considered a backup? If not what is the backup procedure you guys use?

1 Like

Syncing live projects that you work on or accidentally delete (parts of) duplicates those changes to all other connected devices. Sometimes that’s not what you want. Though it’s in general good to store data in multiple locations, this specific usage is in a way the antithesis of a backup.

It’ve set Scrivener’s (zipped and dated!) backup location to an iCloud drive folder. And on top of that of course (macOS’s) Time Machine as a real backup solution, using multiple external drives. If multiple devices fail, and multiple backup drives, and Apple’s infrastructure… chances are I won’t need any of these data anymore.

2 Likes

Strongly urge you to take advice from @November_Sierra

2 Likes

Do you mean you generally don’t sync? Slightly confused here. I understand that you’re saying synch and backup in different locations, right? I was thinking of backing up on iCloud too. Or are you saying you personally don’t even synch between different devices but just backup instead?

Sorry for the basic level questions.

At the moment, no. If I wanted or had to sync my Scrivener projects, I’d just use Dropbox for that. Basically what you do.

(I extract those backups to local folders on different devices, though, and work with those projects locally. That’s “my kind of sync”, but I didn’t want to overcomplicate this thread with TMI.)

Exactly.

1 Like

Ok cool, got you. I understand what you mean now in terms of being cautious of what to sync cause of accidental deletes being reflected everywhere etc.

For now gonna go with syncing on Dropbox and backing up to iCloud or maybe a USB.

Many thanks for your input. :+1:t4:

1 Like

That should be fine. Just let Dropbox sync up or down (as described in the knowledge base article). And consider Time Machine, additionally. This way you have the best of both worlds, sync and backup.

1 Like

And do routine TimeMachine system backups.

I do not consider cloud synced folders sufficiently secure for backup. If a flaw develops on server or local the flaw is synced. IMHO.

I keep Scrivener backups on local drive ~/Backups/Scrivener which is not a synced folder. It and all other files on machine backed up with automatic TimeMachine to a connected USB drive.

As you use, consider also using Dropbox’s new backup service—different than sync and great for offsite backups.

Strive for a 3-2-1 backup regime. Read about that on numerous web pages.

2 Likes

Just to clarify: This (iCloud) backup folder gets also backed up by Time Machine! So in case it gets corrupted locally and subsequently those damaged files are synced… there are still Time Machine backups of different devices to restore from. Without that, it would just be a slightly better sync.

2 Likes