How to temporarily compile my manuscript?

Hello from me in Spain! I am a complete newbie and a bit lost in Tech-Speak-Land, here… Help! I am not sure if I have even posted this to the right topic area etc. Here is what I would like to know: I am using Scrivener for Windows Version: 3.0.0.0 and I have a question regarding ‘Compile’. I am writing a book and am less than 50% through typing up my manuscript in Scrivener. Basically I am trying to save my growing manuscript in various forms and on various computers in case my own laptop fails. I would like to ‘save it to the Cloud’ but I have no idea how to do that! So in the meantime here is my query regarding ‘Compile’. Is this something one does just once at the very end of having written the book? Or, better news for me, can I use that function to compile a TEMPORARY copy, say in PDF format or Word format so that I can email it to my husband, for example, and save it as well on a external drive? The reason I am nervous to hit ‘Compile’ is that if that button is a one-off thing that once you hit it, it then compiles the whole book and considers my book ‘done and completed now and closing this file, thank you’ which it absolutely is NOT, then I will not be able to get back into my manuscript to carry on the work of writing the book? I hope my question is understandable! Thanks to anyone that can assist. Melissa

1 Like

Compile any time you want and as many times as you want.

As your question relates to data protection, set the number of backups to say 25 which gives plenty of options to go back in time to find an undamaged copy if the worst happens. Also set backups to compress (.zip). Choose a save location to the cloud service of your choice so the backups are saved somewhere other than your local computer.

If you have a failure, you can extract the backup back to your local computer.

1 Like

As @RuffPub said, you can Compile any time you like, it won’t affect the words you write in the Scrivener Editor. It’s advisable to Compile regularly to Word or PDF, not to safeguard your work, but to get to know the many Options and Settings, once your manuscript is done and you need an output document quickly.

Scrivener saves your work every two seconds after you haven’t touched your keyboard and backs up your project when you close it, so close the program at the end of your writing day.

Success!

2 Likes

One of my mantras is to compile early and often (to take a concept from software development). Not only do you get backup copies from doing this, but you can spot problems and fix them as you go, rather than saving all of that for the very end, when you are maybe close to a deadline and everything that goes wrong becomes frustrating rather than a learning experience.

There is no harm in doing so! All compile does is take what you have written and puts it all into a single file. The original is not touched. There is no “counter” of how many times you have compiled. No penalty for experimenting.

As for getting that on the cloud, do you have one installed, like Dropbox, iCloud or OneDrive? If so there will usually be a special folder on your drive, where you can save files. Anything that goes in there is automatically uploaded and spread to other computers using that account, or shared with people if you give them a share link. So choosing that folder when you compile is all you have to do.

2 Likes

Thanks RuffPub for

Compile any time you want and as many times as you want.

Quite succinct, Amber. Thank you.

On a slightly different note, early and often made me chuckle, since that’s how we describe voting in elections in our Big City.

2 Likes