How to turn off tooltip-based content pop-ups in Binder

The tooltip-based pop-ups, which display some of the content of documents in the binder when we hover the mouse over a document, are getting in my way. As I try to explore a fairly complicated binder, opening collapsed folders and moving individual documents, stopping for a few moments with the mouse over the document listings to contemplate what is there, the tooltip windows keep popping open and obscuring my view. I’ve searched in the manual, and in the forum, and cannot find a way to disable these pop-ups for the Binder. Perhaps I’ve just missed a setting somewhere? Any help?

Thanks,

• Matthew

There’s no option to change this in Scrivener; it’s all handled at the OS level. If you run a Google search for “mac os x delay tooltip” (or “remove tooltip”) you should find some articles on changing this at a deeper level. I’ve not tried it, usual backup caveats apply, etc., but you may find it useful.

MM thanks for the tip. I searched and found this (quite old, 2007) article at MacWorld describing how to do this from Terminal:

macworld.com/article/1055202 … ltips.html

I tired it and it works to disable tooltips (only for Scrivener as I made the addition only to Scriveners preferences file). I assume that this is something of a blunt hammer now (7 years after this article) as the delay settings entered in this way do not seem to have any effect (I repeatedly closed Scrivener and went into the prefs file via XCode and modified the NSInitialToolTipDelay duration value and it never seemed to have an effect). However, the presence of this line in the Scrivener2 preferences file does kill tooltips in Scrivener. I also tested the “delete” terminal command from this article to remove this line from the prefs file and tooltips do come back in Scrivener. So…I’ll use this method for now to turn tooltips off temporarily when I need them out of the way in the Binder in Scrivener.

Thanks,

• Matthew

Good to know! I’m glad you’ve got something working.

I also entered a request in the Wish List forum about a Scrivener preference to do this. (https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/preference-to-temporarily-turn-off-tooltips-in-scrivener/27471/1)

Thanks,

• Matthew