HTML exporter

I know you have this in here as a nice extra, and not really a fully featured web page maker, but I do believe there is some middle ground that could make it a bit more useful. Let me know if this is something you are interested in expanding a bit, and I’ll write down some ideas.

HTML export is something I would find very useful, but as it currently sits, it would require a lot of manual editing. I see you are using the Cocoa HTML writer, and I’m guessing that means you do not have a lot of control over what it does – but can you give it a little guidance, like “Make this an anchor” type thing, or it is just a formatting -> HTML thing?

Sadly the text exporters (and importers, for that matter) in Cocoa are all rather feeble, unless you want to write to Apple’s own formats (ie. .rtfd and .webarchive, both of which support just about everything the text system can do). This has always been a great source of frustration for me. The main annoyance for me was that there was no way of exporting a document created in a normal Cocoa text view that had images in it so that it could be read by Microsoft Word, which, let’s face it, is the word processor most people use (I prefer Mellel these days myself). Even though the Cocoa text system provides methods to export to .rtf or .doc - MS formats - using these methods strips the text of any attachments such as images. The same goes for HTML.

I spent a lot of time hacking the RTF exporter so that it could export images, footnotes and annotations. I actually use the Cocoa exporter and then insert the necessary tags and information directly into the RTF stream when the rest has been done. This was a lot of work, which involved learning more about the RTF format than I ever wanted to know (which is still very little). Frankly, I can’t even think about doing the same for another format anytime soon without wanting to hang myself. Hope you understand. :slight_smile:

I think we should see what Leopard brings first, anyway…

Fair enough! I had a feeling that Apple’s HTML exporter was pretty weak. I never cared for the actual HTML it produces, either. I am a little suprised that nobody has written a flexible HTML engine that Cocoa devs could use. It seems to be something a lot of writing/note taking apps do, and remain crippled by Apple’s exporter.

Oh well, alas until somebody does that, or Leopard makes things sensible, if it does.