HTML footnotes not superscripted

Is there something in the settings that will make the numbers of each footnote in an HTML document be superscripts? What I’m getting via MMD is just a bare number the same size as the adjacent text, which looks wrong. If I compile as an HTML page (not MMD) the footnote markers are both superscripted and enclosed in brackets.

If I must, I can customize the MMD perl scripts (if they’re still PERL), but I’d rather not have to.

Thanks!

The raw output is pretty simplistic in terms of styling. Superscripts are not generally best applied using HTML itself, but rather CSS (which MMD does none, by default). Here is an MMD2 complaint block of CSS to use as an example from one of my stylesheets:

a.footnote:link, a.footnote:active, a.footnote:hover {vertical-align: super;color:maroon;font-size: smaller;line-height: 0; text-decoration: none;}
a.footnote:visited {color: gray;}
a.footnote:before {content: '['}
a.footnote:after {content: ']'}
div.footnotes p {text-indent: 0;margin-top: 0; font-size: smaller; margin-bottom: 0.5em; line-height: 1em;}
a.reversefootnote { padding-left: .5em; color: maroon; font-size: x-small; text-decoration: none;}
div.footnotes ol {padding-left: 0;}
div.footnotes > hr{ border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; margin-right: auto; width: 16em; margin-top: 2em;}

Note, this also styles the endnotes a bit at the bottom, too.

Thanks! I haven’t bothered with HTML/CSS/Long-string-of-web-technologies since the 90’s, preferring to leave that to tools and let me focus on either really low-level tech or high-level content.

I’ll integrate this into my new wordpress blog and see how it works with my theme. I’m new to WP, and don’t want to get too bogged down into the tech behind it, but I couldn’t resist using footnotes in one of my future posts.

You’re welcome! Also forgot to mention I had it put square brackets around the anchor number. Those can be disabled by removing lines 4 & 5 with the before/after bit. I hear you on the web stuff. I had to learn it due to job description drift in the mid '00s, so it is a handy set of skills to have at this point but if I had gone my own way I probably wouldn’t have.