I can not open my project anymore.

Hi,

I am trying this program out and I really love it so far.
Only… I can not open my project anymore.
Or any project, or a new project for that matter.

I tried to drag and drop to many image files at once into the research folder.
It sat and spun for a really long time.

I tried to quit it and stop the loading.

Now when I try to open the file it spins and does not go any further at

“Rebuilding search indexes. Please wait.
Indexing 766 - ‘Recovered File [766]’”

Is there any way I can get it to not care about these recovered files and open anyway?

Does it have a problem with a certain limit to the images that can be included or is it just that I tried to drag and drop to many at once?

What do you recommend? The only thing I could think of is to deinstall and reinstall.

Thanks for your help.
Valerie

It’s less likely a quantity issue and more likely that one of the things you dropped in is corrupted and since the research files are actively scanned so that they can be added to the project search index, this can cause the project to repeatedly crash. Meanwhile if you have your preferences set to load the last project automatically, then the program just cyclically crashes. So the easiest thing to fix the latter problem is to move the project file somewhere else. This will cause the program to not find it when it starts, and so you won’t get the restart crash. Once you get back in, I’d turn off the “Reopen projects that were open on quit”, just for now at least until the project problem is sorted out.

Now the question is whether or not you want to salvage the project. If all you did with it was drag a bunch of PDF files into it before it crashed, it might be easier to just start over. But if you have already started organising and taking notes in this thing, recovery shouldn’t be too difficult.

For that, the best thing to do is right-click on the file itself in Finder and choose “Show Package Contents”. These are the files that make up the project. Navigate into Files/Docs, and you should see the quantity of files you imported. What crashed Scrivener will very likely crash Finder as well when you look at it; they use the same engine for displaying media. So starting at the bottom of the list (as it is likely one of the last files you imported that messed things up) use Quick Look until Finder hangs or crashes. Once it does, you have your problem file. After Finder restarts, go back to this spot and move that file to the Trash.

Now you should be able to open the project. There will be an empty outline spot where this file was, it’s okay to trash that in Scrivener.