I get why no iCloud, but what about iCloud Drive?

Hi guys.

I get why Scrivener doesn’t support saving directly to iCloud, the way that Pages, Keynote, Numbers, etc. do, but why not iCloud Drive? I’ve done the new macOS Sierra thing of keeping my Documents and Desktop folder in iCloud, which includes my Scrivener Projects folder as well as my Scrivener backups folder, and I’ve noticed no ill-effects from doing so. (Granted, I usually only ever keep any given Scrivener Project open on one computer at a time, so there is that.) My question is: If Scrivener doesn’t mind its Projects living in the Documents folder, which can now live in iCloud, why can’t we use iCould Drive to hold our Scrivener for iOS Projects? Or is there something else under the hood going on with iCloud Drive that I’m not grokking that prohibits this?

—Andy H.

There is no meaningful difference between iCloud and iCloud Drive when it comes to syncing between macOS and iOS, so the problems described with iCloud all apply.
All the best,
Keith

Please see this thread for some of the perils of the Documents and Desktop feature:
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/macos-sierra/33576/24

I would especially not recommend keeping both backups and live projects in iCloud, as then any issues with iCloud (including running out of space and not wanting to pay for more) will affect all copies of your work. If you’re going to do that then, as a minimum, be sure to keep a second backup at a location outside of Apple’s control.

As a side note, the running out of space problem deserves more consideration than it is getting. Local storage is cheaper than remote storage, and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future. It’s easy to see why Apple wants you to keep all your data in a place they control and can charge money for, but it’s much harder to see the benefit to the user in doing so.

Katherine

I actually do this already. I have a separate folder on an outboard drive that my Scrivener Backups folder rsync’s to every day, multiple times a day, so a backup is always maintained, as well as a Time Machine backup of my main drive that runs every hour, so it’s pretty much fine. (Plus, I know where iCloud Drive actually lives on my hard-drive: ~/Library/Mobile Documents).

The fact that you know what rsync is puts you substantially ahead of the average user, unfortunately.

Katherine