I Got suckered

I cannot believe I allowed myself to get suckered into buying this program.

I forgot that I checked out this program last year and rejected it as not usable.

I watched videos on youtube showing how great this program is and bought it.

Then I read, “this is not a word processing program” and remembered the program.

Look up the meaning of “word processor.” WPs are NOT typesetting programs, they ARE the programs that people use when they WRITE.

I imported a file from word and there were paragraph indentations. And the type face was Calibri.

If I cannot even set a default style. I am not going to set first line indent for EVERY SINGLE PARAGRAPH IN THE WHOLE manuscript.

Seriously, if you type from the first word, perhaps you can write with this program, but I have many chapters already.

And the epub function is a joke. There are no links in your epubs, which makes them worthless.

Sigil is a FREE program. All I needed to do is create a small css file and I have been able to create WONDERFUL epub books that can be converted into Kobo, Nook, iPad, Kindle, etc.

You seriously need to understand the difference between word processing and typesetting.

I use MS Publisher to layout my books for print publication. But I don’t want the horrible looking text I get in THIS program. I cannot write without basic formatting.

GOODBYE.

• You are using a somewhat archaic usage of the phrase “word processing” which dates back to when word processors were like WordStar, and saying Scrivener is like that. Okay, no gripes with that. In our documentation and on the web page we use the more modern and familiar usage which refers to word processing as hybrid desktop publishing and writing, however, and go on to explain what we mean by that, just in case there are any confusions over terminology, by stating that Scrivener is about the writing not the desktop publishing.
  • Who said you cannot set a default style? It’s right there in [b]Tools/Options[/b] under “Editor”. Naturally, if you paste a bunch of formatted text in from Word though, it’s going to use that formatting unless you strip it out with [b]Edit/Paste and Match Style[/b] (same as using plain-text paste in Word).
  • If you need to reset a thousand documents to a new preferred default format, you can select them all and use [b]Documents/Convert/Formatting to Default Text Style[/b].
  • Sigil is a fantastic program for putting together the final product, I recommend it frequently. It makes a nice tool for finishing off a project you’ve started in Scrivener. That’s the point of it: assembling text you’ve written into an e-book. Our ePub output can help you get a good start on that.
  • You do have basic formatting. Scrivener has most everything the average author needs to write. It has very little that the average publishing house or designer will need to produce a book, though. Why are you conflating these two things together here, but earlier making it very clear you distinguish between them in your whole bit about how word processing and typesetting are not the same thing?

Scrivener is for writing words; pure, in the somewhat archaic sense, word processing, with enough formatting to get you started on the final product in software that is better designed for doing that.

Ok, I will give it a shot.

It should be more intuitive though. Meaning in the Options/Editor/ the Font box should look like every other font box, including the one on the main screen. I hit the A on the far left and low and behold, I can change the font.

Can you recommend a book for Windows? Seems like most of the ones I checked out on Amazon were aimed at the MAC version.

All right, we’re good people around here—at least I try to be. You don’t have to yell at us to get our attention. The format bar in the settings panel (as well as in the Formatting compile pane) is shortened because the width of this window is quite a bit narrower than the main editor window.

The Absolute Beginners book as well as the Dummies books were both written with either platform in mind, but the former in particular received technical editing from our Windows expert, Jennifer, and makes extra effort to point out workarounds and alternatives for Windows. Ivan Pope also has an e-book on Amazon which has been written specifically for the Windows version.

OK, thanks for the info.