I have mangled Keywords!

Never a RTFM kinda guy, this evening I decided to do some “intuitive orienteering”, to borrow a phrase from Brian Eno: figuring that Scrivener is an extremely intuitive program (which I’ve always found it to be), I decided I was going to take advantage of the Keywords feature.

I’m on the second chapter of a new book (the perfect time to experiment with deepening my understanding of the program): I decided to use Keywords to track Characters.

I clicked on the Keyword HUD in the upper menubar (Scriv for Mac, btw, current version); it opened, and I added the names of the two characters who appeared in the chapter. One of these characters also appeared in the chapter before, so I wondered if a keyword search would find him. I selected his name in the HUD window, and hit Search.

Immediately, my binder column was replaced by a barren Search Results column. Now, no matter what I try, I can’t seem to get back the true binder column. Worse, when I managed to get to the previous chapter, the search function didn’t seem to be getting any hit on the character being present there, either.

So: 1. How do I get back my normal binder column - I’m sure it’s something super easy.
2. What did I do wrong with Keywords? Why isn’t it searching both chapters and finding any references? (I know this is the harder question, but for now I just need my binder back!)

Question the first, when you added the character names to the HUD, is that all you did? The HUD is the central holding area for all keywords in the project. It is where you can organise them into groups, rename them globally, or even strip them out globally. It does not, however, have anything to do with the application of keywords to individual sections of your Draft. To do that you’ll want to drag the keywords onto the items you wish to tag with them, or open up the Inspector to keyword list mode, and drag them there (or type them in using auto-completion). Scrivener could never guess at this part for you. :slight_smile:

Search results can be dismissed by clicking on the ‘X’ button in the footer area of the binder sidebar, clicking the ‘X’ button in the search tool (that’s the traditional place in a Mac application), or by clicking on the Binder tab if you have the collection tab interface open.

Thanks, Amber! I knew getting rid of the Search Results would be embarrassingly easy…

Yes, I just blithely typed keywords into the HUD dialogue box. I’ll go back and retry it with your advice.

Thanks!

My preference is to add keywords in the inspector table. If they already exist I get the handy auto-complete, if not I don’t have to make it and then assign it, making it in that spot assumes assignment. Then later on if I use a lot of keywords over time, I’ll open the HUD and make things a little less chaotic by creating “group” keywords and dragging other keywords on it to cluster them by type. Having a group for Characters is one such common task. It also comes in handy if I forget the precise keyword, then I can browse the list.

Aww, I wrote up a whole lengthy answer and Ioa sneaked in and answered first. Rats!

Well, just to make it not a total waste of time, I’ll post this part anyway since it may be helpful (humor me):

To assign a keyword, you can create it in the HUD as you did and then drag it from there onto the document in the binder, into the editor header, or into the keyword pane of the inspector (open the inspector and click the tab at the bottom with the key icon). You can also create new keywords directly in the inspector and they’ll automatically be added to the HUD.

You can also add keywords to documents when you’re in the corkboard or outliner view, just by dragging them onto the rows/cards, and you can add them to multiple documents at once. To display the keywords there, you can add the column to the outliner via View>Outliner Columns>Keywords and have the keyword chips show on index cards via View>Corkboard>Show Keyword Colors. (Then in the corkboard, click the rightmost icon in the footer of the square of four cards to set how many keywords per card should show.)

So to go back to what you were trying to do, you could use the regular project search to search for your character name in the text, which will bring up the search results in the binder but with some documents this time. Then you can select them all and drag your keyword onto them, and voila, assigned keyword. Later if you run the search via the HUD, it will find all those documents.

EDIT: Curse it, he did it AGAIN!

What can I say, it’s a day ([size=60]night[/size]) for doubles!