I have two postings in a private area, and others in the database over the last 10+years

I’ve been using Scrivener for around 10+ years. I paid for the first version and paid again when it was updated.

When Scrivener3 was presented, I paid for the upgrade.

In reading the posting on how to find previous post, it ignores the idea that an email can change. When email stop working, I don’t know how the information to find those old postings can be received when those emails sent by L&L will never arrive. While I would like to review what I said back then, I’m more interesting in finding why my Scrivener3 can take 40-minutes from its double-click before it appears on the screen.

On this end, I’ve reinstalled Windows 10 Pro 64-bit a couple of times a week in the hopes it is a MS problem that will get fixed one of these weeks. So far, nothing has changed and leaving Scrivener active all the time increases the cost of electricity by a large amount.

What is a user supposed to do with their favorite writing environment when the wait times for it to appear is like believing the Covid-10 pandemic will go away forever.

Wait, did you forgot to upgrade your Covid? Wasn’t 19 the current version?

Anyways… This is absolutely not normal. Do you experience similar waiting periods with other software, too? I’m surprised that Scrivener works at all after a 40 minutes launch.

No, Scrivener is the only app that believes it is OK to get out of bed when it feels like it.

There is a prelude that helps me understand how long I’ll need to wait before it is useable.

That prelude is delivered by an app named: “System Explorer 7.0.0.5356.” When I plan on seeing Scrivener, I open System Explorer and watch the items that appear. The apps that are shown, are all the apps that are running. I make sure nothing I don’t need to do some writing is inactive before I attempt to launch Scrivener3.

To launch scrivener I use double-click on its shortcut icon. Nearly instantly Scrivener appears in the list of apps. At this point, the time to wait might not be a long wait, unless a second scrivener task appears.

The instant a second Scrivener task appears I can go eat and come back when nothing else is interesting.

When both Scrivener apps are active in System Explorer, their operational status becomes “Not Responding.” However, that doesn’t mean much. That depreciated warning is more about rattling my cage than the end-of-app life event. The “Not Responding” message tells me that I have time to have lunch, and maybe walk another mile or so before I stare at the screen.

The last time I had Scrivener running was yesterday and it required 40minutes of patience before it could be used. There were two Scrivener tasks active in System Explorer and a Windows 10 app named “dwm.exe” with a label of “Not Responding”.

The Windows 10 app task: "dwm.exe might not have crashed. It might be stalled by the condition of the two Scrivener apps going about their way to push enough data into one of the computer’s memory. When Scrivener3 pushes about 200+K into memory, the second Scrivener goes away sometimes, and the Scrivener3 often gets tosses its “Not Responding” label away.

System Explorer shows the CPU activity in integers, and it shows the line item of each task use of memory.

In an attempt to do this on my own, I run the windows tool: “C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow” in the DMD window as Administrator to ensure there are no damaged Windows files. Scannow will replace the files during the restart after its log window is saved.

Another thing is my updates to the entire Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS as a desperate attempt to have faith MS will save my day.

Blockquote “I’m surprised that Scrivener works at all after a 40 minutes launch.” I was surprised as well for more than a few weeks. When I finally got over the belief that all apps must be on duty as soon as I flip their switch, I left watching the System Explorer adjust the memory used and the CPU stuck on “0” and went out for breakfast. When I returned Scrivener was on display and I added some words that are still available in the project when it appears.

The hardest part of these errors is how often what happens offsite doesn’t happen in the development space. Windows provides an “Event Viewer” where apps can toss some information as they crash so that they will get an idea of what happened. So far, not any of the long delays with a “Not Responding” flag have left any bones in the trash so that could be reported. I’m not saying there are no events to report. I am saying there are no Scrivener events that I can find so I can pass them along.

For now, I’m learning to be more patient and less demanding. For technical interest, the computer has an EVGA X99 motherboard, 32GB of memory in 2 X 16GB sticks, plus a terabyte available space in its SSD disk. It also runs a water cooler to keep the CPU in the below 50C range.

Try: completely un-install Scrivener (to remove any corrupted files), then re-install.

Problem could also reside in one or more of the thousands of Windows systems files or hard disk that Scrivener (and all other software) depends on.