I need drawings in my book :)

I am so frustrated.

I seem to be able to find out how to do everything in Scrivener except what I need to know.

How to import drawings, graphs, diagrams, into my book.

What little I have found is incomprehensible to me.

I was hoping for a youtube explanation. Video is how I learn best.

Thank you for reading this and thank you twice more if you can help.

Edit > Insert > Image From File…?

Holy tomatoes, Batman.

How can it be so simple and me not see it?

I’ve been trying to figure this out for days.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Or you can keep all your images in a single place, say, an ‘images’ folder next to your .scriv file, and then use the <$img:images/image1.png> tag to insert images during the compile stage.

KB, what’s the difference between ‘insert image from file’ and ‘insert image linked to file’? Does the latter update the image if it is modified?

Inserting an image from a file will actually embed the bitmap directly into the RTF file. When you insert as a linked image it just inserts a text marker pointing to the file’s location on your drive, which will keep RTF file sizes trim, and make it easy to make external edits to the graphics.

I suspected as much. So inserting an image from a file is functionally equivalent to using <$img>?

Functionally, yes. Aesthetically you’ll see the cached image in the editor as though it were embedded, rather than a code like <$img…>

I appreciate all of your replies. Some of them I will have to play with to figure out. Right now the first suggestion is working great.

I figured out why it was so hard for me to figure it out for myself.

I kept trying to “import” the way the others I have used work.

I never thought to look for “Insert” and when I saw it my eye flew right past it.

Sorry I did not get back sooner but I’m trying to get this written before I run out of vacation.

Wishing the best to everyone.

This is a general rule of thumb, and so it may not always be perfectly true (there are some cases where tradition dictates we do things a certain way), but we do try to keep things logical: the menus are divided into domains of responsibility. The File menu has to do with the management of projects, their integration with the rest of the world, and the movement of data in and out of the Scrivener workspace. The Edit menu contains functions which relate to, well, editing, and primarily text editing at that. If a menu command is going to change the content of your work, chances are it is in the Edit menu. View is concerned with how the window looks and feels. Most of the stuff in there is for navigation within the project and setting options for how the project window should act. Project menu is for project settings. Documents for document management and settings. Format for the look of content itself, and finally Help which hopefully requires no annotation. :slight_smile:

So in this case, you are wanting to insert a figure into your text. That leaves two menu options which are likely logical candidates: Edit & Format, and since adding a figure to the text is something that changes the content, the Edit menu is the most logical placement for it. Hopefully that helps clarify how the menus are organised and makes things easier to find in the future.

Too helpful an explanation to not translate into Sci Fi for the Windows users.

:mrgreen:

(My best attempt at a Little Green Man.)

Sigh. The lack of sci-fi menus on my Mac Scriv (so far…? ;D) is still enough to make me pout every time I look at them.

I mean. The little hieroglyphics that apparently indicate keyboard shortcuts yet have no correspondingly marked keys (apart from the little four corner celtic knotty thing) can give it a sort of Indiana Jones/fantasy feel, but. It’s just not the same.

Yeah, you’re missing out on (sometimes subtle sometimes not) references from such genre classics as Neuromancer, 2001, Doctor Who, Gattaca and of course Red Dwarf, plus dozens of other sources.

It took quite a while!

My writing of Sci-Fi
Went bye-bye
When my imagination
was way overtaken
By Wi-Fi