I wish you hadn't made Scr

Scrivener makes me feel embarrassed about the other coding projects I’ve worked on. I only hope it will inspire me to make my programs more beautiful before releasing them instead of intimidating me into never releasing anything again :smiley: .

I had a big long list of things I wanted to suggest as improvements. But after a week of playing with Scr, I have found that almost all of them already existed.

There remain a few tiny suggestions I humbly offer, and one issue left to resolve before I buy Scr.

• Autogenerate synopsis from highlighted passages. I find I copy the highlighted sections of a document to the synopsis.

• Be able to link to a particular page of a pdf.

• When you delete a keyword in the HUD, it remains attached to whichever projects already had it assigned. The help file says: “ HUD should always contain a complete list of the keywords you are using in your project no matter how you have created them.“ it is not complete when you delete a keyword from it.

• It would be convenient to be able to set the default label for a particular folder’s children. So when I create a new child of Draft, it should automatically be a chapter. A new child of a folder holding notes on my favorite book, should automatically have children with label “note.”

Writing them out makes them seem even more trivial.

The thing that is holding me back from purchasing is testing Scrivener’s export to latex function with my school’s thesis format. I’ve checked the boards but haven’t yet found a comprehensive tutorial. Maybe when I buy Scrivener, I can procrastinate my thesis by writing that tutorial.

Thanks Keith,

-Seth[/list]

I can’t answer all of these but I can answer one…

Click on the icon to the right of the synopsis card title in the inspector. If you have text selected, that will become your new synopsis. If you don’t have text selected, it’ll take a bunch of words from the top of the file. In 1.03 it’s “…”, in the new betas, I believe it’s a different icon. (I should go update scriv to find out what it looks like.)

Have you come across this document, yet? As it states in the preamble, it assumes a knowledge of LaTeX and Scrivener, and mainly just covers the techniques used to bridge the two. If you are looking for an MMD tutorial, that same site has documentation for MMD as well.

As for creating your own XSLT for use with the class and settings you require, there are excellent scripts right in MMD as practical examples, all developed under the GNU General Public License. Even if you are not familiar with XSLT, it is a simple matter to make a derivative wrapper off of one of the others. I suggest memoir.xslt. It is the most feature complete of the pack, and also the most stable (to my knowledge).

Could someone please tell those of us who have no idea what Latex and MMD really are, why we might want to know about them, if all we want to do is print out Scrivener documents in as painless a way as possible?

Thank you.

It is a painless way to print multiple formats, anything from novel manuscript submission to polished ready to print, from a single file. All you do is choose the right XSLT file and export.

No need to maintain multiple versions if you have to make a change, either - just change the master copy in Scrivener and re-export whichever formats you want to keep up to date.