Identifying file in folders

Sometimes (perhaps via a search or serendipity) I have a file open in the main window, and I can see the content of that file and I can see the name of the file, but what I CANNOT DO is find in the file list in the left hand window WHERE that file is!

I may wish to delete that file or move it to another folder, but I cannot look in the left hand window of the list of files and folders and identify and select it.

Can any one please advise me how to do that?

regards
Sydman

Look at the editor pane where your document’s text shows. Just at the top, the title of the currently displayed document shows. Control-click (right-click) on that title to bring up a contextual menu. On that menu you will find a Reveal in Binder option.

2 Likes

Something else to consider is that Scrivener has been designed so that you often do not have to know where things are in order to do things with them.

Drag and drop

Drag and drop the icon from the editor header bar to where you want to move the item in the binder. This in fact holds true for nearly any representation of the icon that you can see on your screen—even search results, from that toolbar, can be dragged out and that will act as a full proxy for the item. And where you drop matters to. You can make links this way in the editor, or bookmarks in the inspector, etc.

This is not only useful when you arrive at something from a link, search result or similar, but for moving things long distances in the binder. No tediously waiting for the sidebar to scroll while you hold an icon in the tiny little auto-scroll threshold at the top. Just load it, flick the scrollbar to where you want to go, and drag and drop from the header bar.

Using the editor

Most of the things you can do with an item in the binder can be done via the Documents menu, but there are some things you need to see the item in a list to do (mysteriously, in my opinion, like why do we need to trash something from a list when arguably the best way to trash something is by looking at it directly and seeing, yeah, we don’t want that). So for those things that you do need a list entry for, you don’t need the binder for that, you can use the Navigate ▸ Go To ▸ Enclosing Group shortcut.

This essentially navigates “up”, or one indent level to the left, and will display the item you were working with in corkboard, outliner or scrivenings view. If it is the latter, just switch to one of the other two quickly to do what you needed to do.

When you’re done you can just click the Back button in the editor header bar to return, if desired.

You might say this doesn’t really offer much of an advantage over the Reveal in Binder, but it can depend! I often navigate at a level of hierarchy below what can even be seen in the binder. I like to keep that list fairly short, high level you might say—the “reveal” command would often mess up that organisation and require me to go and manually close folders back up. For these projects I do most of my navigation in the editor—and that ability to go “up” is a vital part of being able to do so, and reducing dependency on the binder sidebar.

It’s a great tool, but it can be a bit cumbersome as well in larger projects. The rest of the project window’s design is very much meant to pick up where its weaknesses start to show.

2 Likes

Thank you Amber for all that detailed valuable knowledge.
I realise that I have only scratched the surface.
Kind regards
Sydman