if the scratchpad is based on the outline view, why can't I view or create folders containing sub-documents ?

AmberV explained that the Scratchpad is designed along the lines of the outline view with the outline listing on top and editor in the bottom, but in Scrivener, the outline view displays folders (real folder or text folders) with subdocuments.
Why is this not possible with the scratchpad (or is it) ?
I tried creating subfolders containing RTF files in the Scratchpad directory in Finder but those folders are not visible in in the Scratchpad
thanks in advance for your time and help

The Scratchpad has no internal structure. It’s just a series of text files in a specific folder.

What lunk said. The display is based on the outline view, but the internal structure is just files.

More generally, I would say that if you need a folder structure for your Scratchpad, you are probably misunderstanding its intended purpose. What is your ultimate goal for these files?

Katherine

Thank you for your reply. I had tried AmberV’s scratchpad 2, but never managed to get as good integration into my workflow, simply because I could never achieve the original scratchpad’s slide in slide out ease of function.

Ultimate goal for these files. To have a scratchpad as I am navigating multiple PDF’s, RTF’s, web sites, excel, numbers files during the day and creating a synopsis. Using keyboard maestro, pathfinder and hazel, I have created quite a sophisticated scratchpad. What is missing? The ability to create sub-topics.

Let’s turn the tables: imagine that you are navigating multiple PDF’s, RTF’s, web sites, excel, numbers files during the day and creating a synopsis as you work through those files, what do you do ? What do you write your notes (text with style, images, PDFs etc) on ?

thank you for your reply.

I used to think that but I see things differently now. All kinds of of little Scrivener related hidden features which can be called up, which means that it’s not simply a series of RTF files.

example: I created a Typinator snippet which I named listxy which is the first line of a Scrivener list. If I expand that snippet in the scratchpad I end up with a fully functional Scrivener list with all the features of a Scrivener list. I am able to create styles just like in Scrivener, a trash, an archive folder (using Hazel) etc

I use DevonThink as my main research repository, and Scrivener for notetaking. DevonThink’s item links provide a robust connection between a specific item and my notes about it, although I mostly depend on a consistent naming convention for that.

You could also use the Research folder in a Scrivener project for this. In fact that’s the Research folder’s intended purpose.

Katherine

thank you Katherine. All fine. I used DevonThink a lot and have written many keyboard maestro macros for it. I am just surprised that nobody seems to feel the need for a floating window editor with advanced functions.
thank you for all your comments

I wouldn’t say that. I just don’t depend on the Scratchpad for such an editor. Usually I’ll use either the main Scrivener window or a Quick Reference pane for whatever project I’m working on. (To float either one, see Scrivener’s Window menu. To slim down the main Scrivener window, see the View menu.)

Katherine