im having a really hard time with my colors

I finally got all my colors to look exactly as i want them to when im writing novel material, and need to know the following:
how do i make it so that the colors in 1 document are universal for a whole project? I tried using the save all preferences option and loading them but it at least seems like the colors in THE SAME PROJECT vary from subdocument to subdocument. I even bought a color scheme building program to attempt to ensure that they are the same and still - i cant get EVERY document to have the same colors in the same project. Can someone please help me? I know it sounds stupid that colors make the difference between whether you write wel or not but my eyes cant stare at a screen and work on a novel for 12 hours at a time unless i use a very specific set. and ive got it just right in 1 document in the biunder of 1 project and i may be wrong - this may be impossible but i would SWEAR that when i add new documents to the binder they change. ill email the project file in so that it can be scrutinized if my claims are beyond belief and you can tell me if its just my eyes seeing variations that are not there or if im really seeing differences… the important thing is learnibng how to make the colors (and ive custom set ALL of the options that you can as far as what colors are seen in a project looking for the right combination and ive found it) - i just need to know how to make it universal for every document created in a project. my guess is that means making a template or something but clarification would be quite welcome. in truth i would like to learn how to make certain schemes the default for each project i create, because i would like each novel to have its own scheme that spans the ENTIRE project file. what can i say im a very visual writer… (and never write with a white background and black text unless i have no other choice because my eyes are physically damaged and it really hurts to stare at that combination for long periods of time.)
many thanks,
shadeofgrey

P.S. now that i think of it i totalluy dont understand how tabs work either and how it is you turn off indenting when you hit the enter key for a new paragraph. by the way im using the most recent version of scrivener for mac on the most recent version of mavericks. if thats the problem i dont care if i have to go back to an earlier OS version… id do it just to increase my production rate – and finally (this is the last time i add stuff i promise) im mystified by how the ruler works and would like to know how to make it do what i want. ive tried pulling all the little symbols around but i never get the result that i want because i dont know how to use it properly. does that book that was written about using scrivener cover all of these things? the color thing however i think NEEDS clarification because ive seen weird stuff happen that im fairly certain shouldn’t.

One feature you should definitely check out is Composition Mode. If you are very visual in nature, and sensitive to environments (and no that doesn’t sound stupid; this feature probably wouldn’t exist if you were alone in that) this feature may suit you well, as it provides the maximum amount of distraction reduction and colour management including, most importantly, a global text colour override function—something the standard text editor cannot do, for otherwise there would be no place in which to proof if some text was actually styled to have a particular colour.

Otherwise, it sounds to me as though you are attempting to use text colour formatting to dictate a writing environment, and while that is theoretically possible, you may find it to be more work than it is worth in the long run. It would be not quite as bad as, but analogous to, using bold throughout your entire book because it looks better. You’re putting formatting information directly into the text, which means that you will have to universally strip out the colour formatting for export—which you may at some point want. This is why a virtual override, such as provided in Composition mode, is going to be a better route to take.

But, if you must, you need to be doing your document design in the Formatting preferences pane. You need your defaults to be a certain way, Scrivener won’t just copy formatting from another binder item just because it is there. You will find here that you can indeed set the default text colour using the format ruler (though if you have everything laboriously set up already in a sample document, you may as well use the convenience button above the mock editor here). Just keep in mind that’s actual colour, like italics, like highlights, like font family. You will definitely need to use the “Remove text color” option in the Transformations compile option pane to strip all colours out of the document, down the line.

Hopefully knowing where default Formatting is set up will help you with this part as well. :slight_smile:

But you will need to know how to use the ruler, which is documented in the user manual, §15.4 (pg. 205). The one you are interested in:

“In addition to the two primary indent marker is the first-line indent marker. This will only indent the first line of a paragraph. Using this control, it is possible to set the first line to indent by half an inch, while the rest of the paragraph is set to zero (or directly adjacent to the margin).”

Changing that little flat bar along the top so that it is flush-left will get rid of the “tab”.

[size=80]First-line Indent Marker[/size]