I'm learning. In the Tutorial>>Compiling the Draft there's a problem

Im new user, learning Scrivener, on a iMac, Sonoma 14.4.1. Am doing the tutorial and making notes to myself. It’s great. But, I came to Compiling the Draft. It says to select the PDF button in the print panel of the Compile window. There is no PDF button. Thank you.

If you mean to rehearse compiling, likely what it means (or is said to do), is regarding “print to PDF” which is NOT in the compile panel, but rather in your OS’s popup when you print/pick a printer. (Or something like that. Windows user, here.)

There is no such panel.

2 Likes

What Vincent said, you’re looking for something like this

(for “printing without wasting paper”, there are other ways to generate PDFs)

1 Like

Yeah, the PDF selection at the top of the compiler will usually be better, unless you really want to see a preview of what it will look like on paper, as there are a few small differences between the two (for example a lack of clickable hyperlinks, as we have yet to figure out how to make that work with toner). The other small advantage is that the print preview PDF route creates the file itself in a place that is automatically cleaned up on a routine basis, so you don’t have to worry about clearing the file later in Finder. I generate my PDFs into a special folder I created for just this kind of “disposable” stuff though, and it periodically gets wiped without any thought given to it, so for me anyway, that advantage is a very, very minor one.