I'm new here

Greetings to all; I have been writing for a while, but I have just started using Scrivener.

I first started writing when I moved into an apartment by myself, just to keep myself occupied. I wrote an enormous volume, because I discovered that I liked it, and … well, let’s just say that the writing filled a lot of needs, and for various reasons I wanted to keep the material out of sight. But a close friend saw a page lying on a table, and he thought it was really good.

Finally, I have published a few extracts from a couple of different books in Smashwords. I write under the name of Kay Hemlock Brown (not my real name, but close enough), and my page is here: <https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/kbrown>. A significant volume of the material is accessible for free; if you have trouble, let me know. I don’t worry about making money on the stuff (I’ve made a total of about $25 from the writing, so that shows you how good the stuff is); I can give you a “coupon” to download an entire book for free.

The book called Jane is completely free anyway, roughly 125,000 words. If the quality of the writing were to be judged by the length of the piece, that one should be awesome!

Mark Coker, the fellow behind Smashwords is of the opinion that longer stories are valued higher than shorter ones. (The shorter free ones on any of Smashwords, Kindle, Barnes and Noble and other sites are generally pretty awful. I suppose the longer ones are awful, too. Writing is generally awful everywhere, including my own, but at least I can spell!)

If you can stand it, I urge you to read Prisoner. There are links to it from my Smashwords profile page.

Thanks, and I’m happy to be here!

Hemlock Brown

Welcome! :smiley:

Thanks for the welcome!

I just found out how to force the binder to title documents with the first line. I’m sure this was covered in that Interactive thing we open at the outset, but I had completely forgotten it. (You just delete the existing title, and it shows “Untitled” for a second or two, then imports the first line as a title. I wish there was an even quicker way…)

The re-titling became necessary because I had just imported a large chunk of an enormous file, and then proceeded to ^K the thing apart. (I’m sure there is an import-and-split procedure I can use …) The full document is a million and a half words, and I want to publish it in about a dozen volumes, to minimize the hostility to the protagonists!

The main character, Helen, is a sort of superwoman: musician, actor, etc, etc, and is bound to encounter negative reactions from typical readers, who find it difficult to learn the piano. I just can’t bring myself to make a more sympathetic character, so I guess I had better be resigned to acquiring just a reader or two. Still, I wonder how many writers have written such a large volume, even if the jury is still out on the quality of the writing?

Hemlock