Image tutorial

I give up! I am trying to understand the image tools.
I followed/read the entire tutorial. I have searched. I just am not gettig how to use images and my book will have lots of them.
Where can I go to decipher which to use.
I finally figured out you can import to resources/researc by “import file” with file meaning it can be a .jpg not a text file.
What I don’t understand are the two options:
image linked to file
image linked to document.

Do these files live on my pc harddrive and then when I compile they get put into the document?
Is it better to put all your images into a resources/research file?
Are the images in the resource/research file the ones that are “images linked to document”.

Yes, this is my first scrive!

My personal preference is to use Image Linked to File. The link is updated every time you open the project or compile. Others have different preferences.

How I do it is have the file in a local directory linked to a cloud service (Dropbox etc) as I frequently work a project on multiple machines. With them all pointing to the local synced cloud folder the images are available on each machine and the links are maintained.

I like the idea of all the images being in a file.
Not to be dumb, but to clarify.
If it put all my images in a file on my computer and link to that file, scrivner will pull them in when I go to publish.
I don’t “have to” put images into the resource/research file?

The introductory text to §15.6, Working with Images, in the user manual PDF should get you started with the basics of how to insert images into your text.

The linked images section, §15.6.3, explains the roles and advantages of using links. Some do not like to have their images stored in a static location on the disk, where links can break if the images are renamed or moved, so for those the option to link to binder images (as you’ve already imported a few it sounds like) will be a better option. Disk links are better when you need easy access to the graphics in editors, or wish to easily hot-swap between images sets for different purposes (print B&W vs print full-colour vs ebook, etc.).

With Scrivener managing the images in the binder, you don’t have to worry about broken links. There are also a number of advantages of using images this way, as you can see where they are used from their back-links, organise them on a “light board” using freeform corkboards, tag them, and all of the other goodies you get from the binder.

These may not be things you’ve learned yet, so I just mean to express in a broad way what your options are with the three choices of embedding, linking to the disk and the binder.

Beyond that, there is some advice in there for how to work with images in the manual. If you are designing this book yourself, and acting as the graphic designer on top of that, you may find some tips for keeping quality good. Overall I would say the Windows text engine is not a good place to store images (nor is the Mac really, but it’s slightly better given its legacy as a graphic design environment). I would highly recommend links, and never editing or touching the image settings in the editor itself. Get it sized and optimised properly outside of the software, link it in, and leave it alone.

2 Likes