Images and footnote confusion

Hello,

The more I use Scrivener the more I like it, though I have an encountered a bit of confusion while compiling. I have just spent about 3 hours going over the compilation process and think I have much of it pretty well understood, but I am completely perplexed by a box I receive when exporting to “odt” format.

Screen shot 2011-10-28 at 6.47.31 AM.png

In this box I am being told that my selected “odt” format will have my footnotes and images, among other things, stripped from it and I am “strongly” recommended to use the “rtf” format to retain them. Yet, when I open my resulting “odt” file my footnotes are there exactly as I would like them (my line spacing is in tact as well). The test image I placed in the file is indeed missing.

That is a bit confusing, though can be chalked up to a pleasant surprise attributed to an outdated warning. The really confusing part is that when I compile to “rtf” I get neither footnotes or the test image I placed into my document. So, how really are footnotes supposed to work and how do I get an image into and compiled format?

–Steve

I don’t know the answer to the question about odf format, but I think the reason that you don’t see footnotes etc. in the exported rtf file may be that you are opening it in an application that does not support footnotes, such as TextEdit.

Wow, I don’t know whether to be impressed about how you hit the nail on the head over it not just being my doing something wrong, but exactly what I am doing wrong, or embarrassed for not thinking of it myself. Both, yes, I think both are appropriate.

Thanks for the quick (and accurate) response Nicka.

–Steve

When you export to .odt, the footnotes get included as endnotes, and they are not “real” footnotes (that is, they won’t be recognised as footnotes by OpenOffice and suchlike) - rather, they are just formatted to look like footnotes and then appended to the text. So if you then went to add another footnote in OpenOffice, it would not renumber existing footnotes and so on. This is because Scrivener just uses OS X’s standard .odt exporter, which is pretty basic. For RTF, I’ve been able to write a lot of extra code to support footnotes, endnotes, images, headers and footers and more. As you’ve found out, though, you do need to open an RTF file in a word processor that supports these things - OpenOffice, NeoOffice, MS Word, Nisus Writer, Mellel and many other word processors do so (Pages being the only exception). The trouble is that on OS X, TextEdit is the default program for opening RTF files, and because TextEdit doesn’t support footnotes, images and so on for RTF, if you just double-click on the RTF file in the Finder, you won’t see these things.

I hope that makes sense.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the detailed answer Keith. It all makes perfect sense. While a direct export to odt would be nice, your reluctance to take on a bunch of custom exporters is entirely understandable. It is no big deal for me to simply open an RTF file from Open (Neo) Office.

I gotta tell you, I am really glad I bought Scrivener. It really is a great tool.

–Steve

Thanks Steve, much appreciated!

All the best,
Keith