Images automatically resized to original on compile

Hello,

I’m on my third day as a new Scrivener user, and have managed to get it to do pretty much everything I need. Just the tool I’ve been looking for… except…

One thing fails me - when I compile my document (to print, or pdf), all the images (jpegs and pngs) return to their original sizes - not the resized versions seen in the editor. Compiling as rtf doesn’t export the images at all - so I can’t resize them that way either.

Any solutions? I’m compiling documents with lots of images for review by others, I guess I could scale them all by hand before importing them into Scrivener, but it seems that would involve a lot of trail and error on an image by image basis.

thanks!

Hi,

That shouldn’t happen - the only resizing that would happen is if the image is to wide for the page, in which case it gets shrunk down to fit. Could you post a screenshot to show what’s happening?

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the quick response.

I have included screenshots of the editor and the compiled version. I’m trying to get the figures to line up in a 2x2 grid to save space when printing (as my collaborators invariably do).

I now notice that the caption has also wrapped in the compiled version - presumably indicating that the page width is smaller, so my resizing to fit the editor window was not actually resizing to fit a final stage pdf. Which of course makes complete sense as you don’t know the final document will be an A4 pdf a priori.

I think my new question is, how do I know the page width of the editor (for example in cm) so I can scale my figures appropriately? I guess I might find that in the documentation somewhere… :slight_smile:

thanks!
compiled.jpg

Hi,

As you’ve figured out, this is just to do with the images getting wrapped, because there is more width available in the editor than on the page. The best thing to do is just to switch to page layout mode in Scrivener (click on “Wrap” in the toolbar, or go to View > Page View > Show Page View.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Oh yes! there we go, I understand now!

Thanks very much for your help - I think that’s my last obstacle to using Scrivener for figure heavy research projects - which I understand it wasn’t really originally desgined for :slight_smile:

Best wishes

Glad that helped!
All the best,
Keith