Images in Compiled pdf

I have images embedded in the text, and when I compile, they are sometimes cut off at the top or bottom of a page. Any advice on how to make sure the entire image is visible?

Make sure that the image is sized appropriately for the space where you want to put it. This is best accomplished in an image editor, not in Scrivener.

In particular, if your output document uses a different page size from the Scrivener Editor, you will probably need to resize your images accordingly.

Thanks for that tip. I had been keeping images needed for the document within Scrivener, which was fine until I wanted to compile, then it wasn’t. I decided to move them all to an external folder so I could follow your advice, but found that wasn’t easy to do. I tried dragging, looked for an Export method – nothing. I finally had to Control Click: Open In External Editor, but when it opened in Preview, it had lost its filename, and the default location was deep in some Scrivener Library file, and I had to take several more steps to Rename and Save As. Why so difficult? Did I miss something obvious? Easier to do?

I’m not sure why you moved to an external folder, and that might be the complexity.

I usually put my images into the Scrivener document, then right-mouse click on it to “scale image” to fit in the paper that it will be printed to. I accept that may not result in the total quality you may expect. So …

You could put the images in a folder inside the Scrivener Research folder, and in the document where the figure goes insert a link (all covered in the “Scrivener Manual”). You can then right mouse click on that file and use the “open” command to open in any other app you wish. When you are done it will put the edited image file back into Scrivener.

I’m not a fan of external folders for stuff in my Scrivener projects simply because then the resources for the project are spread around outside the project structure. Some may prefer that and will advocate doing it, but I won’t.

Thanks rms: Yes, I see that I can open an image in an external editor and save back to the original location within Scrivener, but I must say, having those image files so tightly controlled by Scrivener made me a little uncomfortable – I’m not a fan of having things buried deep in the Library with mysterious filenames, and moving any other filetype out of Scrivener is much easier than with an image.

The external subfolder I created to contain the images is now in the same folder in Finder as the Scrivener project itself, and in that location, it’s easier to open an image in Preview or Photoshop for editing. If and when I’m sure I’m going to use a particular image in a Scrivener file, I can drag it into a Folder in the Binder to make it available directly, instead of using an external Link.

Regardless of where the file is, I still don’t understand exactly how an Image is located within a Scrivener file so it winds up in the right location after Compile or Export. It would help if there was a “keep with next” or “do not break” command of some sort so the image was maintained intact regardless of where it falls in relation to a page break. Also, when I place the image within the text, it seems to want to overlay the previous paragraph, regardless of how much space I’ve allowed it, and I have to find the end of that paragraph behind the image and use Return to add enough lines so it’s by itself on the page. It needs a Frame, or a positioning command to locate it properly, which it seems would help with Compile.

Then make one “Images” folder just under “Research” and put everything there. No need for complex folder structure. And do not use complicated file names. You name the files.

Very important. Avoid or just never dig into ~/Library for Scrivener files. Stay out of messing with the Scrivener project package. And, if you are putting projects there, I urge you to move them out—say as subfolder in ~/Documents. I keep my Scrivener projects in the Dropbox folder so I can sync to other devices.

There is. Look at the Paragraph formatting options.

I put the image (or the link) in a paragraph, of it’s own or inside a bigger pagragraph and mark it “keep with next” and I do not allow it to split across pages. You can make that setting too.

Sometimes i keep the image (or link) in a Scrivener file of its own, which facilitates moving it around as I write.

I don’t understand you final points. I never have experience that, but I do it as above so I think I am avoiding the problems you see.

Turn on “invisibles” to see the Paragraph pilcrows. May help you see what is going on.

Thank you for all this help.

• My Scrivener project is in ~/Documents.
  • I don’t dig into the Scrivener files in the Library – I only noticed where the Images were when I opened them in Preview and it tried to save them back to the original location. They were originally in a folder named Images in the Scrivener Binder.
  • Perhaps I misunderstood your recommendation re Keep With Next. I turned on Invisibles to make sure the image was in a paragraph of its own, selected the previous paragraph and clicked on Keep With Next:On, then did Print as PDF, and this is what it looked like at the top of the page. What am I doing wrong?

If your Scrivener project is in your Documents folder, everything inside the project will be in the Documents folder as well. If Preview is trying to save things to the Library, something else is going on. (My prime suspect would be iCloud taking liberties with your data. But that’s a separate issue.)

Tried inserting Image into document from external file (In same Finder folder as the Project), then tried moving Image into Research in Binder, and inserting it into file from there. No difference.
For both tests, I used the Insert command, with my cursor between two paragraphs, and the image overlaid the paragraph above, so I had to space down to give it enough room. In each case, I put it where it would be toward the bottom of the page, and the result was the same as the screenshot I sent you earlier; only half the image appeared at the top of the next page.

Do you by any chance have your line height set to “Exactly” a given number of points?

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 21.39.07

:slight_smile:
Mark

Yes, I do. Helvetica Neue Regular, 12 pts, line spacing: 13 pts. Paragraph spacing: before 0 pts, after 10 pts.

Try changing it to at least.

Did.

• Inserted image at next pilcrow (delighted to learn that term; so fanciful; it sounds like a fancy hat or a weapon or … but I digress), and it overlaid the paragraph above.
  • Hit return a dozen or so times to give the image plenty of room, put the cursor on the middle pilcrow inserted the image, and it partially overlaid the paragraph above.
  • Inserted it at the bottom pilcrow, and it had enough room around it not to overlay.

So it works as a way to place the image correctly within the text in Scrivener, but unfortunately, it still does not print as a pdf correctly, nor does it compile correctly – only the lower half of the image appears at the top of the page; the upper half is missing and does not appear on the bottom of the previous page.

I’'m still not clear how to use the Keep With Next command in this situation and perhaps that would help. Do I select the paragraph above to apply the command? And will the command affect only that paragraph and the image, not other paragraphs in the text?

I assume this is not supposed to happen; could there be a sneaky Preference setting somewhere that is affecting this?

And BTW: I do keep a backup of my Scrivener in iCloud, but I never work from it in that location, only from the one in ~/Documents. Ditto the image files.

Good you have a backup, presumably from the automatic backup feature Scrivener provides. That being said, IMHO iCloud not a reliable backup as it is a “synch” service. If the copy on your local computer, or on Apple’s servers gets corrupted/deleted/lostApplieID/whatever, the poof, your backup is gone.

I always recommend, but you don’t have to listen to me, that you put your backups on your local drive, say ~/backups/scrivener, and then rely on your system backup regime (start with TimeMachine?) to backup the backups. I recommend the 3-2-1 Backup Strategy. Thousands of web sites on that that “interweb” thing explain it.

Yes, auto backup to iCloud whenever I Save, which I do periodically. And as I mentioned above, I also have Backblaze, yes, cloud based, but happening all the time and anywhere I am. At the end of every day, I drag a copy of the project onto an external SSD. And I also use Time Machine, which goes on a different drive.

I am convinced that not a good idea, especially given all the other backups you have. Manual. But if it scratches your itch, go for it I guess.

Dragging a file onto a disc is recommended by Apple for moving or copying it to an external drive, (it is, in essence, a copy command), and I have done so with many files over the years and never had one corrupted.

I occasionally check the copy of the Scrivener project on the SSD for integrity, and it seems fine. I also change the filename of the Scrivener Project in Finder (filename + new date) so the previous copy on the SSD doesn’t get overwritten too many times, and keep the previous version for a while. I’ve only needed to use a copied file once and it was fine. The worst that can happen with it is a lost day’s work, potentially, a significant loss, which is why I appreciate Backblaze and iCloud.

I’ve never lost anything in either Backblaze or iCloud (although, I wouldn’t trust Dropbox with a grocery list).

I’ve definitely lost a few hard drives over the years so trust them the least (redundancy there is even more important), and once fried a computer and lost everything in it, which is why I spread the risk.

Only thing I don’t have for my project is an outside storage place for a hard drive, but any backup on it would be out of date so soon, it would be close to useless in any case. Good idea for photos and old correspondence, but My Scrivener project is not static.

So thank you for your advice, but my Scrivener project is in ~/Documents, on two different cloud backups (good in case of fire or earthquake or computer death or theft, and always on and available), and on two external drives (one of which is small and always with me, one stays home). I try not to let paranoia run away with me, and this seems to have all eventualities covered pretty well.

1 Like