images in Scrivener's Research - what does the suffix mean?

Hi,

I’d like to understand what’s the reasoning behind the added suffix of -1 and -2 when I drag images to Research?

Thanks for clarifying!

It looks like you have duplicate file names there. The suffix is probably added to differentiate between them.

Katherine

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for your reply!
This makes sense. Could it be that Scrivener takes al pictures into account, meaning if you have multiple projects open, it will also take into account duplicates between different projects?

Erwin

That shouldn’t be the case: each project is a separate entity, both from Scrivener’s point of view and on disk.

The exception would be if you have images for multiple projects stored in an external folder and imported to Scrivener as aliases. Then any duplicates in the external folder would be renamed by Finder.

Note that you can rename any file in the Binder at will, including images.

Katherine

Thanks for clarifying!

1. As you can see by the naming of the binder folders, I have identical images sitting in 2 separate directories, they may even be sitting in Devonthink now I come to think of it.
    So that explains for the upper 5 images, but as far as I can see at a glance, the bottom image is a single one, so I wonder where the twin naming stems from… I’ll have another look.

2. Can you tell me if there is any way to kind of quickly ‘preview’ images that have been inserted with an external path?
    That is without going through a compile?
    Quite often during further writing it would be handy to be able to just quickly preview the image in order to get the writing to flow again.

Thanks for your insight!

Erwin

Split screen and show the image in one half and your text in the other. I do it all the time with scientific articles.

Lunk, will that work with external links? Like the one below.

<$Img:/Volumes/data/Pictures/DCIM_android/Screenshots/Screenshot_2016-10-27-14-56-18.jpg;h=580>
“Kastventilator kapot”

I never use external links to images. I simply import them into the Research section of my project, like you showed in the first picture, split screen, select image in the lower window and the text in the upper.