Images

Is there a way that i can compress images for the e-book output?
I have the original files imported into the research folder, needing them in 300 dpi for print. Now I get huge files in epub. How do I shrink them?

While there are lots of image editors and the like, some free and others costing hundreds of dollars, you may find a quick and easy (and free) piece of software that can get the job done here: https://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/

Scrivener has no internal method of manipulating images.

thanks. I so hoped I could do it within Scrivener.
But that means, I have to substitute all the image files within scrivener with the compressed ones, reight?

likely.

You don’t have to compress, but it makes sense. Also, if it’s going to be for kindle Amazon charge for downloads, so the smaller the file size the less you pay… or the more you make.

The “official” solution to this problem is to use linked images in an external folder. When you compile for print, use the hi-res images. When you compile for ebooks, use the compressed images.

Katherine

THIS^ All of this!

Ah! Okay
IA pity. My dropbox is already at its limit.

that would be something for the wishlist then.

The folder doesn’t need to be in Dropbox.

And the files will take the same amount of space whether they’re stored inside the project or not.

Katherine

It does, though, if I want to prevent to loose it in case of a PC crash.
And of course it takes more space,when I need to have compressed images( for ebooks small in size) plus printable images.

Except you would always need to have two copies, regardless of what software creates them or where they are stored. The alternative would be for Scrivener to compress the images on the fly, while running the Compile command. Which would significantly impact the performance of the Compile command, already Scrivener’s most performance-constrained function.

Katherine

Trying to deal with compressing/uncompressing images on the fly to solve performance issues usually doesn’t work.

1. You use more memory – you have to have both the uncompressed and compressed image loaded into RAM at the same time
  2. You use more CPU in order to do the conversion every time you need to load the new compressed/uncompressed image again.

In Scrivener, which is designed to only load in the documents you are actually viewing, you would see these effects over and over and over again as you moved between documents in the project.

Not to mention a further performance drop if several other projects were open at the same time trying to load more images from other sources.