iMedia Browser

Would it be hard to implement the iMedia Browser (karelia.com/imedia/) into Scrivener? I use it for all my media and it would be nice to have it in Scrivener, too.

I’m not sure what place it would have in Scrivener… Where would it go, what would it be for?

Most of the sounds files / images / videos I want to place in the research-area of scrivener are managed in either itunes or iphoto. Usually I use the iMedia Browser to select these files (if the application I’m using supports it, of course). Because Scrivener does not support the iMedia Browser, I have to use either the Finder, or iTunes / iPhoto itself, which slows the mac down because of the size of my libraries.

Application in Scrivener:
When I want to place a sound file in the reseach folder, I could select it in the iMedia Brwser and drag it to Scrivener.

The iMedia Browser is a framework, so in theory it should be three or four lines to integrate it into Scrivener.

I’d love it :slight_smile:

EDIT: The menu item usually resides in the window-menu and has a shortcut assigned to it.

Whilst it’s not a bad idea and looks like it would be pretty cool, note that on the website it says, “Tiger compatible; Leopard optimisation coming soon.” Unfortunately, I can’t in good consciousness embed any third-party framework in Scrivener that has not been tested on and optimised for Leopard. I’ll happily look at it again when (or if) the framework is optimised for Leopard.

All the best,
Keith

Ok, I can understand that. However, I haven’t experienced any glitches with iMB on Leopard, but of course you’re right.
So I will rise this topic from the askes when the framework is Leopard-compatible :slight_smile:

It certainly looks interesting. If it could be called up from the Window menu and then you could just drag images or videos from it into the binder (or references), that would be great. Provided there’s not much more work involved, of course! So, remind me to look at it again later in the year when the devs have updated it for Leopard.
Best,
Keith

I have written to the devs of iMedia yesterday. The Framework is Leopard compatible, so there’s nothing in the way of integrating it into Scrivener :slight_smile:

Actually, I played with it only yesterday but for now I have rejected putting it into Scrivener. It’s a brilliant framework, but I just don’t think it really fits Scrivener. The audio files don’t drag into Scrivener for some reason - I haven’t investigated, but they obviously use a different drag type, so that would take some playing with to get it up and running. Likewise, you can’t do much with the links. Also, I think it fits more of a media-rich application, whereas Scrivener is text-oriented. Finally, if Scrivener were to have a media browser, it should really also have a PDF pane for dragging in PDFs. So, whilst iMedia browser is truly superb, I don’t think I’ll be integrating into Scrivener.

All the best,
Keith

:frowning:
I really thought I could ditch the finder.
:frowning:

Nope - as I say, you would still have to use the Finder to open PDF files, FCF files and other files anyway, so it would be sort of a halfway house solution. That said, you can, of course, use iMedia browser as a standalone application if you prefer to get your files in using that, so there is nothing to stop you use it regardless of my decision not to include it in Scrivener.
Best,
Keith