Import and Split of Fountain Files Problem

This[code]EXT. TREVI FOUNTAIN - DAY
A group of tourists are stood looking around.

KB
Being able to import scripts in Fountain format is a useful feature in Scrivener.

GLIMFEATHER
As you’re going to use it for the iOS version learning it now would maximize the function.

INT. OFFICE - DAY
A madcap scriptwriter is sat at their desk trying to understand importing.

GLIMFEATHER
Why is it that I can’t get Scrivener to recognise that second Scene Heading?
[/code]
isn’t split as I expect it be from reading the Fountain syntax page. The requested split doesn’t occur on the INT. line instead Scrivener takes it to be a Character element!

From the Fountain syntax page:

The scene headings in your sample only fulfil the second criteria - you need a blank line after them too.

Thanks that’s fixed a few of the scene headings I’ve set up but even after putting in succeeding blank lines there remain others that are not being recognised correctly. Shoving a leading period at the start of a line (to force a scene heading) isn’t always honoured either.

Also getting capitalised character names (at the start of Fountain lines) not being recognised as such but interpreted as action. This latter first appears near a blank line in dialogue (using the two spaces kludge).

For example, (for gist not tested)
KB
The scene headings in your sample only fulfil the second criteria - you need a blank line after them too.
USER
Thanks that’s fixed a few of the scene headings I’ve set up but even after putting in succeeding blank lines there remain others that are not being recognised. Putting a leading period at the start of a line (to force a scene heading) isn’t always honoured either.
KB
Some later response
USER
I’ll try that
KB
It’ll work
USER
It does but not for all occurrences.

with the final USER being interpreted as a dialogue element. And again forcing the interpretation (with an @ in this case) does not get parsed correctly.

Now I begin to see what the problem is: Fountain’s documentation. Blank lines needed AFTER a scene heading. But blank lines needed BEFORE a character. I hate inconsistencies like that.

Even after fixing all that is-it-line-after is-it-line-before issues there are still problems with the Import of Fountain files.

[code]INT. AIRPORT CONCOURSE - DAY

@Announcer
This is the final call for flight 666 to Fountain Hell

[/code]

Results in both dialogue lines being interpreted as Action despite the explicit inclusion of the @ to force the first to be parsed as character. No matter how many blank lines are inserted with at least one for the end of the scene header and another one before the character the Scrivener scene still ends up having two Action lines.

The ability to use an @ symbol to force a character isn’t supported in Scrivener 2.6 (it was introduced into Fountain after Scrivener’s original Fountain importers had been written). It has been added to Fountain support for 2.7, which will be released at the same time as the iOS version.

To save me reporting individual ones are all the other force characters implemented?

• . for scene heading
  • ^ for dual dailogue
  • ~ for lyrics (which always have to be “forced”)
  • for CUT TO:

•  < for centring Action lines and the other emphasis codes[list][*]* * for italics

• ** ** for bold
  • *** *** for bold italics
  • _ _ for underline
    [/:m][]=== for page break[/:m]
    [
    ]! for action :wink: though is the ! meant to be retained in the Scrivener version?[/:m]
    [
    ]{{two spaces}} for presevering blank links in dialogue (this doesn’t appear to work)[/:m]
    [
    ][] for notes[/:m]
    [
    ]# for section[/:m]
    [
    ]= for synopses[/*:m][/list:u]

There’s also the key/value stuff that can be used for Title page (but Scrivener’s own is already enough).

[Always a problem referring to third-party documentation. They change it and the user of the first product doesn’t know what is or is not implemented.]