Import/Export settings

Hello scrivener windows.
I have been trying to import ms word comments as scrivener comments in the inspector and not as inline notes. In one of the discussions on the mac side it has been suggested by Amber that this could be achieved by altering the import/export settings.
"Re: Conversion from Word

Postby rvdparis on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 am

AmberV wrote: If you have your Import/Export settings set up to import them as linked comments in the Inspector, then you'll get a nice tidy list of all their notes in the sidebar. 

Wow, this is great. Are those settings the same as “Import comments as inline annotations” under Import/Export ?"

However, I could not find such an option in the current windows version. Am I missing something, and is there another way of doing this?

Start Whine
Parenthetically, I understand (from a lay perspective) the difficulties in dealing with ms word import and export as described by divers people on the board index. Yet I would like to again whine about the need of academic science writing, as well as students, and report writing in scientific companies. 99.9 % of this is collaborative with more than one author. On pubmed the number of single author paper are vanishingly small (1/10000 - I made this up, it is probably even smaller). I would be willing, more than willing, to give up internal hyperlinking (as is possible in say databases ) for the ability to assign an external editor like ms word. After all, few (actually none) of my Heinlein novels or research papers contain hyperlinks. Ultra Recall can do this (use an external editor) as well as hyper-linking, but it is really a database similar to Devonthink (from the days when I used macs) and Ultra Recall is nowhere near as good a writing environment.

In heaven I will be able to round-trip scrivener and word.
End Whine
GoTo Start Whine

On Windows, comments always import as inspector comments; there isn’t a setting for this presently to switch it to importing as inline annotation.

There are no plans to include the ability to open an internal Scrivener text document in an external editor, but the Sync with External Folder feature in the pipeline should answer the problem by simplifying the steps in exporting selected documents from Scrivener so they can be edited in other programs, then syncing the changes back in. Bear in mind though that just as you’d need to give up internal Scrivener links for this, you will also not be able to maintain some Word features like track changes–these would need to be resolved in Word prior to syncing back to Scrivener.

Unfortunately, and as I said above, the comments I have in a word.rtf file really import into scrivener as inline comments and NOT as comments in the inspector. I wish they would go into the inspector but they don’t, they are inline: in the actual text as red text with a line around them. Am I doing something wrong?
Wolfgang.

My sincere apologies; I didn’t test this just now when I replied, as I really thought it was working this way in 1.6, but I’m seeing the same results you are with both comments and footnotes imported as inline. Unfortunately there is not yet a setting to specify how they are handled during import in the Windows version, so they will need to be converted after the fact using Format > Convert > Inline Annotations to Inspector Comments.

However, I’m seeing a separate issue as well where the commenter’s name is being added to each comment but not as part of the inline annotation. You may need to do a search and replace to remove that from the text until this is addressed.

Do you have the beta version of Scapple installed, or did you install it at any point? I’m really puzzled by this import behaviour in light of having had a similar thread earlier, still in 1.6, where the user was able to import the RTF file with Word footnotes and have the notes come in as inspector footnotes rather than inline as they’re doing now. Scapple and Scrivener use the same converters, and I know some changes were made in Scapple to avoid importing comments and footnotes because of its more limited feature set and problems such as the one above where the commenter name got included in the text, so I’m wondering if those changes inadvertently affected Scrivener. I’ve only re-tested this on a machine that has also been testing Scapple, and it would be useful then to know if that’s a potential factor on your machine as well.

Yes, I do have the beta scrapple installed!!
Also, thank you for your reply to my Whine.
I don’t think that the whine will go away, in principle, as I think that the underling rationale will be there for many who don’t write fiction.
I am not a writer in the sense that Keith meant; I have not, and probably couldn’t write stories to entertain. My fiction is confined to scientific article published on pubmed, much more proscribed and formulaic.
If only the ms word issue (whine: external editor, or round trip, or such: end whine) were more or less solved I could get on and try to get a NIH or MRC grant (1/10000 chance) and then write real novels.
For sure real writing is much more difficult than the bilge that passes for “scholarly literature”.
All the same, the day job needs: [Whine (ms word and back) End Wine].
Oy vey - whine nicht wine.
Greenish.