Import Menu Didn't Close

I imported an entire folder of word files, that worked great, but the Import dialog box stayed on the screen and I couldn’t close it. I had to restart to make it go away.

Yes I’ve got this one too with 2.01, and had it with 2.0 as well.

1. Open new project.
    2 Go to file>import
  2. Select folder with files for import
  3. Dialog comes up warning that files will be converted to RTFD etc. Click okay
    5 Import goes ahead. Warning comes up saying media files were moved to Research folder. Click okay.

But after import the import dialogue is still in place. It is possible to navigate the project but not to dismiss the dialogue. After quit and restart all is fine.

My import included PDF’s, Pages files, ODT docs, Word Docs and FDX files.

cheers
w

I can’t reproduce this at all. What OS are you on?

Thanks,
Keith

Hi Keith

I’m on 10.6.5

I’ve been trying to narrow it down by taking the suspect group of files and importing them one at a time into test projects but I haven’t been able to reproduce it that way yet. But with the group of files taken in their entirety, it seems to be reliably reproducable. I’ll keep experimenting and if I come up with something more specific - a particular file for example - I’ll let you know. Most imports of groups of files are fine. Maybe it’s just one corrupt file (?)

There are only 30 - odd files in the group, and nothing very large.

cheers
william

There must be one in there causing problems. Take a look on the Console (~/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) when the bug occurs, too, to see if any errors are reported there.

Thanks!
Keith

Well it doesn’t seem to be connected to any one file - but if I try to import a folder which contains media files into the draft, it reliably happens. As far as I can figure out.

I found many instances of the following message in the console from the 26th, which was the day I posted my follow up to Hopstaken (hi Hopstaken) but there are none from today, so I don’t know if it means anything or not:

26/11/10 1:57:22 PM Scrivener[47388] [QL] Asking to compute a thumbnail in main thread is potentially blocking the user interface

I’ll keep trying to be more specific with what causes it but it really does seem to be any of the media files, and only when I try to import a folder which contains them, into the Draft.

cheers
William

That message should be harmless - and any error message related to the bug would appear every time, anyway.

Is there any particular type of media file causing the issue? What types of media file have you had in these folders? I just tried on a folder with images and text in it, and all worked fine.

Thanks,
Keith

I can do it with PDF FDX and Pages files. I just made a new pages document and a new PDF and put them in a new folder and reproduced it. It seems to be 100% reliable for me.

I had another look at the console and got some new messages, some from yesterday afternoon and from just now this morning. Maybe they’ll be some use…

The good news is that after exiting and restarting, everything works and the import is successful :slight_smile:

cheers
william

29/11/10 10:18:04 AM [0x0-0x212212].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[55444] objc[55444]: Class CMObjectUtilities is implemented in both /Users/William/Library/Contextual Menu Items/DEVONagent CM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DEVONagent CM and /Users/William/Library/Contextual Menu Items/DEVONthink CM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DEVONthink CM. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

29/11/10 9:16:05 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[110] ([0x0-0x27d27d].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[57645]) Exited: Killed

30/11/10 7:42:00 AM Scrivener[58094] dealloc arbitrary collections table controller!

30/11/10 7:42:27 AM [0x0-0x294294].com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2[58094] objc[58094]: Class CMObjectUtilities is implemented in both /Users/William/Library/Contextual Menu Items/DEVONagent CM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DEVONagent CM and /Users/William/Library/Contextual Menu Items/DEVONthink CM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DEVONthink CM. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

30/11/10 7:42:44 AM Scrivener[58094] dealloc arbitrary collections table controller!

30/11/10 7:45:27 AM Scrivener[58094] dealloc arbitrary collections table controller!

Hmm, nothing there either. And I just tried creating a folder with a Pages and PDF file in it, and it imported fine.

Hmm, wait - do you use Spaces at all? Are you working on a different Space?

I do indeed use spaces - but I turned Spaces off, restarted the computer, and still had the problem.

And I can’t reproduce it even with Spaces, so that’s definitely not the issue.

Could you please make a video of the problem (for instance using QuickTime)? Just seeing it might trigger something - it’s worth a shot.

Thanks!
Keith

Okay I did that (didn’t like my performance much, thought I was rather wooden with my mousing) - tried to upload it to the forum but the extension .mov isn’t allowed so I’m emailing it to sales AT etc attn Keith.

Let me know if it doesn’t work - it said the file was only 1 KB which can’t be right.

cheers
w

Thanks William - I have the video sitting in my inbox but haven’t had chance to look at it as I had to take the past two days off for family reasons (nothing horrible). I’ll let you know as soon as I get a moment to check it out.

Thanks again!
Keith

Right you are. No hurry from this end - it’s not stopping me from doing anything I need to do and whatever it is seems to be very rare. Only two users?

cheers
w