Import & Split Question

I compiled my old stories into Word docs for my editor who’s looking through my backlist, and am now trying to Import those edited docs back into Scrivener. However, since I didn’t foresee the need to add any special characters for separation, I can only use the word ‘Chapter’ for the splitting (i.e. Chapter 1, Chapter 2). However, on importing the doc the word ‘Chapter’ is deleted from the chapter titles and the text pages themselves.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the special character for the import always deleted? If so, what’s my best option for importing?

I don’t think you can avoid the word being removed upon importing the file.

Perhaps you could simply open your document in Word and replace “chapter” with “#chapter” then import/split again, targeting # ?

1 Like

Did you by any chance use styles to mark your headings? If so, the option to split by outline structure will be better for what you want. And if you haven’t used styles, that may be easier to fix than adding separators by hand, as Word can select all similar formatting and then once you have all of the chapter headings simultaneously selected, can apply the “Heading 1” style to them. It doesn’t really matter what they look like, Scrivener will just be using that to split by.

That aside, Scrivener is the kind of program that can very easily add generic text and numbering like “Chapter n” to your headings for you when you compile, so in some lights, it stripping that out of your title isn’t the worst thing anyway.

I doubt I used ‘styles,’ since all I did was type out the headings by hand, but you’re going to have to explain to me what they are in Scrivener in case I know them under a different name (updating Scrivener from 1.9 to 3.1 has shown me how bloated the program has become. Three times longer time for compile is supposed to be an improvement?). Also, the Word docs are already compiled, so I need to work in the constraints that exist.

How can I add generic text and numbering to the text pages, because Vellum isn’t separating the chapters without them. I’ve tried using the program help, but the handbook for this bloat is anything but handy. . .

Ah, so you used the old version to compile and are now importing into the new version. Well that answers that question then, unless you went through in Word and styled the text yourself, since the old version did not have styles.

Also, the Word docs are already compiled, so I need to work in the constraints that exist.

Yes, that is what I was referring to, the Word document, whether it has a stylesheet with an outline or not.

How can I add generic text and numbering to the text pages, because Vellum isn’t separating the chapters without them.

There is in fact a Vellum-optimised compile Format that you can use, that adds all of the necessary components, and uses style nomenclature that will help it import better.

But if you don’t know what I am referring in general, or how to use a Format, it might help to go through the migration tutorial.

Three times longer time for compile is supposed to be an improvement?

Yes, a vast one. Your use of the word “bloat” is confusing though, as it rarely has anything to do with processing time.

This special effects rendering system running on a server complex in 2023 is fifty-three times slower than POV-ray on a single Pentium in 1996, is this supposed to be an improvement? :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Bloat does refer to time, as the word refers to increase/expansion/pick-up-a-thesaurus.

So yes, for anyone who uses Vellum for formatting, Scrivener 3 is definitely inferior to 1. Overly complicated and bloated. I had to delete half the items from the toolbar because after 10 years I’ve never had a use for them.

Good luck with your adventures!

3 Likes