Import web to pdf with 'special characters'

after the response I’ve seen, this looks more like a bug report now, than technical support question, so I shift the topic to this forum.


Problems importing web pages in pdf format.

Postby oliverm on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 pm

When importing web to pdf with scrivener for windows 1.0.3, I get strange Characters, I.e. “Südafrika” instead of “Südafrika”. (You might think ‘ü’ is a strange character, but try to assume it being an essential part of someone language. If that doesn’t work, just imagine it’s the name of some heavy metal band. :slight_smile:. )

Example link: … print.html

What can I do?




Postby StefanG on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:39 pm
I have the same problem. Seems that Scrivener is not using the default Windows encoding (mine is German, too). Which in a way makes sense, since it it also not using the default PDF-viewer of the system.


Re: Problems importing web pages in pdf format.

Postby oliverm on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Stefan, maybe it can be explained, but it still is a bug.

Moderator, scrivener guru etc. - Do you think this could be fixed?


I’ve got this on the bug list, thanks. It’s possible to select the encoding used for importing plain-text (under Tools > Options… in the “General” tab), but whatever the PDF tool is using doesn’t seem to be affected by those settings. (Which isn’t really surprising, but it means that there’s not an easy workaround in that.) I’d suggest then as a workaround for now saving the webpages to PDF first and then just importing those PDFs to Scrivener, rather than doing the conversion in Scrivener. There’s a host of free (or paid) programs that will let you print to PDF from any application; CutePDF is one I like, and the results when I tested with that were really nice. Alternatively, you could use a different import method for the web pages, but I’m assuming you’ve chosen PDF for a reason. :slight_smile:

You can use Documents > Open > Open in External Editor (Ctrl+F5) to view any imported PDF (or other non-text file) in user account’s default program. There’s an icon for this in the right of the editor footer as well when viewing non-text documents.

Jennifer / MM,

thanks for putting this on the bug list. Looking forward to seeing it implemented in the next update. :slight_smile:

For me easy import and documentation of web research is a key feature of my use of scrivener, but now I only have limited choices, if I want to preserve umlauts and the printing-to-pdf-method takes away the positive thing about scrivener being so easy to handle.

Thanks for maintaining a great program, and as I said, really looking forward to the next update :slight_smile:.

Didn’t mean to explain it away. You are right, it should be addressed and fixed.

If PDF is an important feature to you, be aware of other issues: Searching in Scriveners imported .pfd's