Import Wikipedia Pages breaks all images

When I import a web page in to my Research folder it breaks every single image making the entire effort pointless.

Just so someone may help more effectively, I’ll ask things that I immediately wanted to know. These are often irritating questions, but I don’t do it to be irritating. I do it because solving requires highly specific details that often seem unrelated to people that are not used to technical debugging. So here goes irritation:

• You refer to “every single image”… is this every image of THAT SPECIFIC web page?.. every image of your project? Or something else?
  • When you say “breaks” do you mean, none of the images are showing? They are missing?.. or the images are there, but don’t look right? Something else?
  • Is this the entire effort of importing? (or the entire project… I hope it’s not corrupting the entire project)? I’m guessing this is just that the process of importing seems to lack value when this happens. But I don’t want to guess. So I’ll take YOUR answer.
  • What specific site are you trying to import?

If you think of other details, mention those too.

Regards, and all the best to you.

4 Likes
  • You refer to “every single image”… is this every image of THAT SPECIFIC web page?.. every image of your project? Or something else?
    –Any webpage that is imported.

• When you say “breaks” do you mean, none of the images are showing? They are missing?.. or the images are there, but don’t look right? Something else?
    –The images are broken links.

• Is this the entire effort of importing? (or the entire project… I hope it’s not corrupting the entire project)? I’m guessing this is just that the process of importing seems to lack value when this happens. But I don’t want to guess. So I’ll take YOUR answer.
    –The entire effort of importing any website in to my research folder is pointless if the images are broken links

–Right now I would settle to getting any Wikipedia page imported into my Research folder. This used to work great but with Version: 3.1.1.0 (1463331) 64-bit - 03 Nov 2021 - It no longer works as I described above.

I consider this entire response to be sarcastic in nature. I will not continue to interact with this forum.

The response looks fine to me, and mirrors the questions I would have asked in @GoMach’s place.

Please remember that the people trying to help you can’t see your computer, and that many forum participants are not native speakers of English. Absent some other indications of sarcasm, it is usually best to assume that questions are intended in good faith.

Regarding Wikipedia pages specifically, the images that appear are usually themselves links to a corresponding WikiMedia page. So yes, knowing what page is being imported is useful information for anyone attempting to help you.

Should you find responses in the forum unsatisfactory, you can contact the L&L team specifically by opening a support ticket, here:

Please be aware, however, that members of the support team are quite likely to need further information to help you, and will ask questions to obtain that information.

1 Like

aeternali wrote: I consider this entire response to be sarcastic in nature. I will not continue to interact with this forum.

I’m quite sorry that it came across that way. I intend to help ferret out what the real problem is. These details are really important, but I’m sure my personality is what is bad. (Once in a while, I still manage to be helpful.)

NOTE: There’s a possible workaround on the last lines of this response. I hope it helps.

–Any webpage that is imported.

Good to know. I’m glad it didn’t break anything else in the project.

–The images are broken links.

This seems particularly helpful to me… My immediate guess is that the pictures are not located in the same place as the web page (the HTML code) and thus, they were not retrieved. I want to see the link to see if we can tell anything more. I’d try the original web page and hover over the picture while looking in the bottom left of the browser. Sometimes that shows the link of the image. That may provide a valuable clue.

–The entire effort of importing any website in to my research folder is pointless if the images are broken links

Makes sense. This helps verify that it’s not changing anything outside of the import.

–Right now I would settle to getting any Wikipedia page imported into my Research folder. This used to work great but with Version: 3.1.1.0 (1463331) 64-bit - 03 Nov 2021 - It no longer works as I described above.

AH… this gets to something VERY valuable. I just went to Wikipedia, randomly choosing a topic: Continuously variable transmission. Here’s the link: Continuously variable transmission - Wikipedia

When I hover over that top right picture (showing blue and gray cones with a belt) I see that the link shows (at the end) this: …/File:GearBoxRotRotVar.gif SO THIS IS A REFERENCE to a file, but it’s not an image. It’s a link to another page, and THAT page has the link to the image.

Here’s the page it went to (you can go there by clicking on Continuously Variable Transmission):

On THIS 2nd page, if you click on the image, you WILL get the ACTUAL image. If Wikipedia does this on most pages, it may be very difficult to import that way, because the import would have to bring in the other page and THEN bring in the image. I hope that at least explains a bit, but I don’t know how they can “fix” that for such a page.

A WORKAROUND MAY be to print the page to a PDF and use it that way. The print PDF did work for me on that one page. Maybe it will work for you on other Wikipedia pages.

I would never import a web page to Scrivener. I may do so in Notion or Evernote, but in Scrivener, I’d bookmark the URL, or better yet, bookmark a link to the Notion where I saved it.

Thanks @drmajorbob . Yet, to be fair, I didn’t say to import. I said “and use it that way.” I purposefully avoided the word import. My point was that it CAN be captured with pictures to a PDF.

If it’s captured, the pdf is embedded in Scrivener somewhere, and your screenshot seems to show a Draft document where you’re attempting to do something with it.

Sorry @drmajorbob , I’m not understanding. I did NOT put ANYTHING in Scrivener for this thread. I visited a web site. That’s all. My post is all about that Wikipedia page (and the sub-page after clicking on the graphic). I went to the web site, clicked print, selected the PDF printer and printed. It went well. I did not go to Scrivener. That’s up to the OP.
Maybe the picture with the cones and belt looked like it was in Scrivener?? That came up when I tried to post the link (it showed the embedded box instead). But that’s Wikipedia… not anything in Scrivener.
I left it up to the OP to do with the PDF whatever he/she saw fit.

The link, by the way, is this: Continuously variable transmission - Wikipedia
The text is this (I’ll modify it so it won’t convert to the text link:
https :// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Continuously_variable_transmission#/media/File:GearBoxRotRotVar.gif

Sorry! The problem is that I lost track of who’s who on the thread.

1 Like

I totally have done that. No issues man. I also greatly appreciate all the help you give to so many (me included).