import word footnotes

Importing a word document currently results in a scrivener text without footnotes - or they are at the end of the text, without any relation to their original place.

Whenever I write a paper, I (have to) make the final layout in word, often changing footnotes, even correcting errors in the last minutes. Later, when I continue this project in scrivener (‘recycling’ of old material), the changes I made in word are effectively lost and I have to correct all the errors again. I know I ought to do everything in scrivener, but when the deadline is near and I have imported everything in word, it takes too long to convert everything again. When I work with a colleague’s word doc in scrivener, it is the same. This is really annoying - I love scrivener for productivity, but the import problems eat up most of the time I saved.

Most academics have to use word for collaboration. The possibility to import footnotes from word would be a great addition to scriveners functionality. It may sound a bit desparate, but I really depend on this feature - at present, I have to do a lot of work on my documents twice.

Thank you,
Mark

Hi Mark,

The new betas already allow this - the current beta is 1.09 (available from the Beta Testing forum). In the next few days, this will become 1.1 and will be available as a free update via Check for Updates.

Note that you must save from Word as RTF (not .doc) in order for footnotes to be imported into Scrivener. And obviously, they become inline “footnotes” in Scrivener - that is, they are in the text with a grey bubble around them.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

these are wonderful news, thank you! Now Scrivener will become really invaluable - truly the center of my workflow.

Best,
Mark

I recently discovered that you can simply copy and paste your document from Word to Scrivener’s editor, and it will automatically convert all footnotes into inline footnotes. Edit your text and copy it back to Word, and Word automatically converts them back into “real” footnotes. How great is that? The best thing is that this copy-and-paste round trip works with true .doc files as well, so you’re not limited to working with RTF files (as implied in the Help file). Copy-and-paste also converts annotations.

See, this feature is even better than Keith would like us to know. If you don’t have a big project, you can save yourself the trip to the Compile Draft dialog and just copy your chapters to an open Word window. If you get a Word document with footnotes and annotations, just paste it into Scrivener, edit it and paste it back. It’s that simple.

Though again, it only works in the new beta and 1.1. :slight_smile: This copy-and-paste trick works because RTF data is placed on the pasteboard.
All the best,
Keith

Whatever :slight_smile: This feature is so cool that you should mention it in the Help files. Or maybe even in the sales pitch on your website. It saved me a lot of time this week.

Will this update be available for download via the site as well? Being a paranoid little bunny, :open_mouth: I don’t have my work computer connected to the net. I use another computer for the net, so, should I get a problem with a virus etc, my work is safe. Downside to this is I can’t use the Check for Updates feature.

Of course. It will be the exact same version that will be available on the main Scrivener page. They will both be updated at the same time.
Best,
Keith

Thanks Keith. Just thought I’d check. I have had apps before that would only update if you were attached to the net. Looking forwards to the update. :smiley: