Imported documents into Research

• I understand I cannot mark up an imported PDF within Scrivener itself. Are there any markup made in an external editor that will be visible when I view the document in Scrivener? e.g. how about markup from Preview? Skim does not seem to work.

• Similarly, is there any way to mark up an imported web page?

• I cannot find an “Open With” option on imported documents that would let me choose the editor to use. Could that be feature request, please? I use Safari / Firefox / Chrome to browse html, but Kompozer HTML editor to edit. How can I open the imported web page in Kompozer?

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, mark-up from Preview will work, as will mark-up from Adobe Acrobat (although the latter works better on Lion because of PDFKit bugs on prior systems). I believe the trouble with Skim is that it uses its own custom annotation system that can’t be read by the vanilla PDFKit.

You can already open web pages in an external editor - make sure you are using the latest version of Scrivener (2.2).

All the best,
Keith

Just updated to 2.2, but I still don’t see an “Open With …”. If I use “Open / In External Editor” the imported web page opens in Safari (which is not even my default OSX html-reader app). I want to edit it with Kompozer.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

In the footer bar beneath the web page, on the right you should see an “Open in External Editor” button - the standard paintbrush/pencil/ruler “A” icon - with an arrow next to it. Hold this button down for a second, and a menu will appear that allows you to choose what application to open it in.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks! I was right clicking on the item in the Binder, where “Open With” does not show up :frowning:

The contextual menu does not show everything - it would be a pain to have “Open with” there when it only applies to a fraction of the documents in the project. Glad you got it sorted.

Know of any app which does a decent job of editing a HTML page saved by importing via Scrivener / Import / Web Page (which I think ends up in webarchive format)?

Specifically, I’d like edit the HTML to mark interesting bits, possibly add comments inline, highlights etc. to the saved file. I tried Komposzer but it does not recognize the format.

Thanks!

That’s a good point - web pages inside Scrivener are saved in .webarchive format, which is the WebArchive’s standard format for saving pages along with images and other attachments. I don’t know how many programs can edit that - they would most likely need to be WebKit-based themselves.

You can always convert the web page to text (Documents > Convert > Web Page to Text) to mark it up, of course, although it will lose any advanced formatting.

All the best,
Keith