Imported ms. shows up as text file rather than a folder

Hello! I’ve just gotten my edited manuscript back from an editor in Word format. I imported into Scrivener where it’s showing up as a text file rather than a folder (this may be the wrong terminology, but the icon for the earlier drafts, which I’d like this to emulate, is a folder inside the Draft category).

Is there a way to make it into a folder so that I can store the usual stuff within in it: chapters, notes, research, etc.?

Thanks very much. Also: is there a way to import a file (as above, from Word) so that it lands in the Draft folder with earlier drafts? For the above action today I created a New Project, then simply dragged the imported file (once it was converted into .scriv format, that is) into the existing draft folder.

I’d like to be able to easily go back and forth between different drafts of this large manuscript.

Thanks very much.

There isn’t a really clean way of doing this, because Scrivener wouldn’t know where to start chopping the single manuscript file into multiple pieces like you have it in binder. There are some things you can do make it easier on yourself. One is to use a custom separator setup in the compiler that inserts something distinctive, like twenty hyphens for instance, and let your editor know not to delete them. Then when you import, you can use the File/Import/Import & Split menu command, specifying those hyphens as the break point. That will at least chop everything up into pieces, the way you had it, but it won’t seamlessly replace existing outline structure in the Draft. Again you run into that problem of what goes where. If you don’t have too many pieces, it might be worth it to copy and paste each of the imported sections into the draft items they belong to so you can keep all of the extra information you’ve developed into the outline.

If your editor is willing to work in smaller pieces like you do, then you could consider using the File/Sync/with External Folder menu command. This will dump one RTF file for each section of the binder into a folder. You can then put that folder in a location shared with your editor, like a Dropbox share. Once they give you the all-clear, run sync again and Scrivener will go through and update your Draft with the edits. From your side, this is very seamless, so it all depends on whether they would mind working that way.

The fundamental problem is that Word, Pages et al. are based on an entirely different principle than Scrivener, so meshing the two into a seamless workflow is not so much a problem of missing functionality, but a clash of philosophies. So with that in mind, the last option that a lot of people take, is that when you get to this point in the process you just step out of Scrivener and continue the work in Word. That point is likely going to come eventually anyway, so if you start running into too much friction, trying to get work done, it might be something to consider.