This is probably somewhat esoteric in Keith’s terms, and the only other user I know from the forum who might have comparable experience is Maria, but …
I am about to embark on co-ordinating and editing the translation of a 25,000 Simplified Chinese character guide book into English â€” should come out at over 30,000 words as a rough estimate. So, I have started by bringing the Chinese text into Scrivener, so that (i) I can use Scriv. to split the text up and export the sections to send to the team of people who will undertake the basic translation; (ii) when it comes to editing, I will be able to have the original text section up in a split pane next to the basic translations to be easily accessible for checking; and (iii) I’ll be able to use Edit Scrivenings to bring it all together to check for consistency and style across all the sections … oh, and (iv) I know it’s going to require a fair bit of background research on my part too, so Scriv. seems perfect for the job.
The problem? The original text is a Chinese Wierd for Windoze doc, which I opened in Nisus and saved out as RTF. I have also extracted the very first bit of it for demo purposes for this forum:
If I try to use <file: import> to get the text into Scriv … whether I drag it into the binder, or use the menu/keyboard shortcut (seen as “Import” in the binder of the Scriv. project attached), the Chinese characters are all invisible … all you can see is strings of numbers, which are actually concatenations of dates in the text. What is really strange is that if you hover the mouse over the appropriate icon in the binder, a kind of note window comes up which does show the Chinese text!
If I open the file in Nisus, copy the text and then paste it into an empty binder document in Scriv. (“Pasted” in the binder) it then appears as normal.
Looking at the binder itself, the synopsis column is empty for the imported version, but the text is there for the pasted version.
I don’t know how many Scriv. users other than Maria are actively involved with CKJ languages … and Japanese and Korean have important differences from Chinese, and Japanese seems to be more closely embedded in the system than Chinese, so there may not be the same problem … but there seems to be a bug here that needs addressing. It seems to me you should be able to use Import to get a Chinese document into Scriv. just like a document in any other language, and not have to open it in another app and do a cut and paste.
Incidentally, I have a friend who is going to try to translate Alain de Botton’s “Art of Travel” into Chinese, and I think I have persuaded her that Scrivener is the tool she needs (She is now the proud possessor of a MacBook).
Chinese.scriv.zip (16.2 KB)