Importing a simple RTF treatment

I have written an utterly basic outline which is effectively 37 one-line sentences, each separated by a carriage return. Each sentence is a sequence in the (proposed) novel. I would love to import it into Scrivener so that each sentence appears on a separate cork board card.

All I can seem to do at the moment is import the entire RTF file as one document. So far I have put in the Research section which permits me to flit back and forward checking where I should be going next. But each line on a separate card would be much more elegant a solution.

Searching the forums I found a reference in 2006 to a command ‘Documents/Auto-generate synopsis’. Did that disappear or was it only ever a whimsical notion?

PS I am using a late beta of Scrivener for Windows on W7.

That command wouldn’t help you out here anyway as what that does is take the first few lines of the current file and a generate a synopsis card for that one document. It doesn’t automatically split out a document into files.

Documents/Split/with Selection as Title is probably going to be the best tool. Select the line, hit that hot key (Ctrl-Shift-K), then delete the line and move down. The split occurs at the left-most portion of the selection, so you’ll want to start on the second line and proceed likewise. That’ll give you 37 cards all named by the line. You can go back and give them more succinct names later, but using the Shift variant will save you the step of having to name it right then and there and then switch back to the editor.

P.S. Scrivener for the Mac hardly even existed in 2006, let alone the Windows version. :slight_smile: That menu command just hasn’t been developed yet. It’s a bulk version of the button in the upper-right hand corner of the Inspector that does this on a one-by-one basis.

Thanks for that - just in time for Nanowrimo. I would go on to ask how to give each of these generated scenes/chapters a target, but i know how to do that manually, and I really should get on with it rather than carry on faffing around with the formatting.

:slight_smile:

There is an easier way to set that, too. Use the Outliner with the Target column turned on. Tab key to jump from cell to cell.

Done, though that ‘Target column turned on’ bit stumped me for a while. Eventually I found the tiny button opening the drop down box with column headings. Could I suggest that it would be better to have a header bar you could right-click on? Then choose column headings from there? I believe that’s a more intuitive way to do it. The Thunderbird email program has both a button and a right-clickable bar.

Thanks.

Yeah, if it were easy to do it would be done. :slight_smile: It should be in time. There is also the View menu which accesses column arrangements.