Importing CopyWrite project

Folks–

I tried the SG iteration a while back and thought it had possibilities, but the new Beta definitely clicks for my style of working. So, I have this half-completed project noodling along in CopyWrite and want to move it to Scrivener. But, I don’t see the CopyWrite format listed on the Import page. Does anyone know of a painless way to do this, beyond the obvious, and tedious, cutting and pasting?

Scrivener Beta 2, by the way, is pretty much the writing tool I’ve been looking for since, umm, Word 1.0. Excellent job.

Ahab, have you tried saving the CopyWrite text as an RTF file and importing the RTF file into Scrivener?

It does work.

Right, there is no direct CopyWrite to Scrivener conversion (I imagine that would take quite a while to create, and then you have Ulysses, Avenir, Jer`s Novel Writer, and so on). The process can be partially automated, but will require a little manual work, too, depending on how much data you wish to transfer. The first step you’ll want to take is to export your CopyWrite project. I would recommend exporting “All documents in the project,” (obviously) and you will probably want to include document notes. Next, choose “Each document to its own file.” Choose the location, click export, and you should have a folder full of RTF files.

The second step is to get all of those files into Scrivener. This is quite easy, just drag the folder that CopyWrite created into your Binder. Un-collapse it, and you’ll see all of your RTF files have been imported as separate documents into Scrivener.

Now comes the hard part. You will have to transfer all of the annexed notes into Scrivener’s dedicated note field, update synopsis, match status between the programs (use the Project Settings in the View menu to customise these if you wish), sort the documents according to their categories (I suggest using labels for this, which can also be customised in Project Settings – but reserving labels for something else, and using Scrivener’s ability to organise documents in a hierarchy is also a good move). Don’t forget your project notes from Copywrite – they do not get exported.

Then, if you really wish to go through the trouble, is transferring Versions from CopyWrite into Scrivener’s Snapshots. I am afraid there is no easy way of doing that.

Ah. That shoud work, and only minimally complicated to boot.

Thanks. A rainy-day project coming up.

Aye. I am currently in the middle of a similar process getting my work out of Ulysses. Fortunately, Ulysses has quite a great deal more exporting options available to it than Copywrite – but it is still quite a rainy-day task, as you put it!

Thanks to the users for answering this one. :slight_smile: One day in the future (post-1.0), I would love to look into offering import options for CopyWrite, Ulysses, etc. The only trouble is that all of these file formats are undocumented (ie. private and specific ot the app, unlike, say, .txt or .rtf), and they could get changed at any time (rendering any importers I did write unusable). So the process is somewhat onerous at the moment, I am afraid. :frowning:

Glad you are enjoying Scrivener beta 2. Beta 3 should (I hope) really move us towards a 1.0 release, as it offers solutions for many bug bears.

All the best,
Keith

To be honest, I’m not sure there is really any need to do that. I’ve imported my projects from Ulysses by just taking in the exported RTF files. Works like a charm and you’re pretty much protected from file format changes.

Since you can import all the files in a batch, then it was a two minute job.

Now unless you find a way to bring in stuff like the notes fields, then I’m not really sure what value this brings to Scrivener.

Rayz, Ahab, Spitfire31 and others on this and other threads have been asking brilliant questions lately and the answers Keith and AmberV have been generating have definitely been equally excellent. It occurred to me that some of these could go into the Tips and Tricks thread and even into the help folder and perhaps the manual (obviously reworked appropriately for each purpose). I guess what is most appealing is that with a jpg or two illustrating the text the replies and the questions have been in plain, non-geeky, understandable English and real manual - Tips and Tricks value for learning Scrivener.

I know I am stating the bleeding obvious, but thought it should be said. It’s just too good an opportunity to miss. Obviously, I mean those questions and answers that would be appropriate to b3.

:smiley:

Hi Lord Lightning,

Please feel free to copy and paste items you think should go into the help file into Tips & Tricks. Just create a new post with an apt title and say, “Maybe this should go in help” and quote the info. I don’t have time to go through all of this myself yet, so doing this whenever you come across something like this would really help, as when I come to write the Help file I can go through the Tips & Tricks forum.

Thanks!
Keith