importing .doc w/footnotes = no footnotes...

for the work i do, i am often exporting my reports from scrivener into a word doc format, tidying up things, applying page numbers with report titling (since scrivener only offers me en mas page numbers that would apply custom text to all exported docs). I then print, collaborate on the work, and head back to scrivener. sometimes i may have to work on the doc in WORD. the problem, however, is if i do so, it becomes very difficult to bring things back into scrivener. The page numbers (with titles) are obviously lost (frustrating, but not critical), and any footnoting/endnoting is lost. This seems to be the case, whether i select all and copy and paste into scriv (from word), or if i use the import feature and import the file either as a word doc or as an rtf.

What i contemplate what this means, it seems strange to imagine that a number of essays i have written in the past will now be very difficult to import into scrivener (if i want scriv to recognize the footnotes).

I imagine, though, that someone has come up with a workaround because it seems so essential a task. any help??

This is a known limitation. I’m not sure if this is in the FAQ (AmberV, might be worth adding if not), but the reason is this:

RTF format - which is a Microsoft format - allows annotations, footnotes and inline images. However, for whatever reason, although the folks at Apple have built RTF support into Cocoa, they only ever went so far. They never built support for annotations, footnotes and inline images into their text engine. Because of this, the standard Cocoa methods for importing and exporting RTF files completely ignore these features.

For Scrivener, I hacked into the Cocoa RTF export methods to provide support for exporting annotations, footnotes and images to RTF format so that they could be opened in Word and other word processors. The export process is the most crucial, of course. This hacking process is quite tricky, as it involves using the Cocoa methods to generate the RTF code and then inserting the extra code directly into the RTF stream.

Import, however, is a different kettle of fish altogether. The vast number of RTF tags available means that it would be next to impossible for Scrivener to extract footnotes and so on from the RTF stream without knowing all about RTF syntax. In other words, I would have to write my own RTF parser from scratch rather than relying on the one created by Apple. Ouch.

So, this is why Scrivener cannot import footnotes or annotations - it was a massive achievement just to export them!

Best,
Keith

oneworld9, I have to thank you, as following this thread I decided to take another look at the matter. Coming at it with fresh eyes a few months after failing to find a way of doing this first time around, I had a brainwave. Try downloading the new 1.1/1.05 beta from the Beta Testing forum, which should - hopefully! - import footnotes successfully from RTF files (note that it won’t import footnotes from DOC files, so you will have to use Word to save your documents to RTF first if importing from Word).

All the best,
Keith