Importing documents as Aliases into "Research"?

Hi All –

I’m wondering how Scrivener imports research documents (PDF, jpg, etc.) you drag into it – are they copied into the Scrivener dbase, or are they just aliases to the original file?

If they are copied into the dbase by default, is there a way to just have them imported as aliases, so I don’t have multiple copies of these documents (some of which are very large) floating on my hard drive?

Thanks!

Hi,

If they are dragged into the binder, they get imported properly - copied in. The idea being that you can take your .scriv file to another computer and it contains everything you need.

If you want to reference files without importing them, drag them to the references pane in the inspector - either to the references of an individual document or to the project references.

Hope that helps.
All the best,
Keith

How does Scriv handle jpgs? At present when working in archives I can often take photos of the documents which I then import into Scriv as research. However unless I Photoshop them - Save for Web to reduce the file size - the Scriv file gets rather large. I don’t doubt it’s stable, but still.

Is there any way that Scriv can do the manipulation, or does it do it in some form already?

No, there’s no way Scrivener can do this manipulation. Well, actually, it could try by increasing the JPG compression but I think this should be left to the user to decide by changing the original file before importing. Otherwise Scrivener would have to try to make decisions about changing the size, compression, format and so on that would not suit all users.
Best,
Keith

Ok - I understand and appreciate the idea and reasons for self-contained portability, which is normally great, but it would be nice to have an option where you could import research docs to the binder and have them function like the research does now, but just point to where the file is, rather than having them inside the .scriv file.

Correct me if I’m wrong, or if that is possible, but I just tried to do import as a reference in the inspector, as you suggested, and it worked, but you can then only see the reference when you have the inspector on, so you lose the useful “corkboard” feature, and if you double click on the reference, it opens in an external editor. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for a great app and support! :slight_smile:

You can drag a reference to the header of the editor or ctrl-click on it and select “Open in Editor” to open it in the main editor, provided it is a supported file type. I think having references to external files in the binder could be potentially confusing; it would also conflict with having project references at all. The binder is intended only for files that exist within the project.

All the best,
Keith