Importing edited Word files

My editor has returned a Word file to me which she has marked up extensively, but I cannot figure out any way to import the file into Scrivener without losing all her editorial markings. Naturally, I would like to be able to open her edited file in a split screen in Scrivener next to my original file so I can compare it to my original file as I work without having constantly to flip back and forth between Word and Scrivener.

I have tried importing both .doc and .rtf files, with balloons outside the text turned both on and off in Word, and each time Scrivener imports the edited version of the Word file, but omits all the editing marks that appear in the original. Oddly, the handful of Comments she put into the Word file are all preserved in the import. What disappears is all the rest of her work which shows as ‘Deleted’ in the balloons attached to the Word text and as strike-outs and additions that are both color coded and underscored when I turn off the option for the balloons to appear outside the text.

Am I missing something here, or is it simply impossible to import a Word file into Scrivener in any format while preserving editing markings that show deleted and modified text?

I think, and it’s only my opinion, that once you have exported to Word and are in dialogue with an editor, you should remain in Word. The text you now have, with her comments, is the latest version of your intentions. If you want to preserve it, then make a copy with a new name, like draft-rev 1.doc.

Scrivener is a planning, outlining, and drafting tool, but once you get into formatting and pre-publication revising, you should be working in a dedicated word-processor, which has many tools and edit-marks that Scrivener doesn’t have.

It’s also true that you can keep Scriv around, in another window, any time you want to refer to earlier states of the draft or reference material. Cmd-Tab and you shift to the other application easily.

PS: I like that image of Norman. Hope he is boxing now and then with Papa.

On a slightly more technical side, the reason the edit comments are not being imparted is that they are not “comments” (annotations) but are “track changes”. As Druid noted scriv is less word processor and more “novel CAD”†. Just like with most CAD programs the final display is sent to a render engine to make realistic looking images to show folks, we send our scrivener output to programs like word to make the “pretty”.

That said, what you could do to get a quick comparison is :

1. Duplicate the file sent by the editor.
  2. Accept all the changes your editor made (use the duplicate).
  3. import this into scrivener.
  4. Do a split screen that has your original submission to the editor and the new import in it.

At least this way you wont need to have word open for the comparison.

†[size=75] Yes I know scrivener is not only for novels. Why did KB write scrivener? To write his novel so I am justified in my example :stuck_out_tongue:[/size]

Okay, guys, thanks for the information. I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed something obvious.

It looks like I’m going to have to finish the edit in Word then, for two reasons. I need to see the edits on the page, not just the result of them, and my editor has threatened to eviscerate me with a chopstick if I do anything else. She is a big fan of ‘industry standards’ (Word and Times New Roman and straight quotation marks and tracking every edit from the first draft) and not a fan of anything else (Scrivener). It looks like Scrivener is fated to become my secret vice now, rather like an embarrassing addiction to prescription painkillers.

Don’t get us started on “industry standards”. That is like lighting a match in an oil refinery.