Importing Edits and Notes

My manuscript has just recently had a round of editing and I’m wanting to import it with the comments intact. Unfortunately when I compiled it I didn’t know about preserving the document structure, and so now what I have is an ODT file which will most likely have to be manually split by chapters again.

Right now, though, I’m having trouble dealing with the comments, both my editor’s and my own in reply, which were imported inline in red. I know there’s a way to move them into the Notes window, because I’ve done it before, but I can’t remember it off the top of my head and my brain is fried here at 3:30 in the morning. Suggestions? Oh, and when I do the final rounds of editing and proofreading, how best to avoid having to reinvent the wheel and deal with this problem again?

Edit > Transformations > Inline Annotations to Inspector Comments.

:grin:

Mark

Hmm. Not a huge improvement.

Sorry, but this is not working at all. I can import the LibreOffice file into my binder, but I can’t replace/update my text in the manuscript with my editor’s comments and my replies. I’ve tried split screen/cut and paste, and either the text comes across with no comments or else, if I revert and place the comments inline, they show up as a mishmash inside the text with no way to separate them out again.

What I want to do is to have my editor’s comments and my replies available in the Inspector with the edited manuscript in the main window. And hopefully without having to re-type the whole 70K words plus comments one at a time. Once I get this all together in one binder, then I want to re-export it with comments intact for my second round of editing and be able to import it afterwards without all of these struggles. Then I can use Scrivener’s tools to help compile and export for prepress. Right now, though, it’s looking a little bleak.

Someone has to have been able to make this work in the past. How?

The original manuscript in the project and the imported manuscript with edits are separate documents. Scrivener has no way of knowing that there is any connection between the two, much less that a specific editorial comment belongs with a specific paragraph in the original.

From your description, it’s not really clear what you actually want, so I’m not quite sure what to suggest.

What is your current “working” version? Do you want to use the edited document as the starting point for further edits, or do you want to edit the original?

I’m not sure what you mean by “getting this all together in one binder.” From your screenshot, you’ve imported the edited version into Scrivener so, by definition, it’s present in the Binder for that project.

And from your previous screenshot, you’ve succeeded in making your comments visible in the Inspector.

So what’s the issue?

Yes, they’re separate documents; I get that. What I’d like to do is to take the newly edited copy and use it to replace the original copy, chapter by chapter (or perhaps scene by scene) while keeping my editor’s comments (and my replies) intact. I haven’t been able to do that yet; I can paste over the text but I lose the comments.

Once I get this marked up copy in the binder, then for the next round of editing I’d like to be able to compile and export it in a format so that afterwards I can re-import it along with comments with a minimum of hassle.

I’m not sure what you mean by “getting this all together in one binder.” From your screenshot, you’ve imported the edited version into Scrivener so, by definition, it’s present in the Binder for that project.

What I mean is that I want to replace my original text which was subdivided by chapter and scene in order to facilitate compiling it for prepress. Yes, I could export the marked-up copy, but I’d lose chapter and scene breaks and headings.

And from your previous screenshot, you’ve succeeded in making your comments visible in the Inspector.

I can move them into the Inspector for the imported text, yes. I haven’t been able to copy the comments along with the text from the marked up .odt file into the original chapter folders.

Thank you for clarifying.

First, I’d archive the original for safekeeping.

Then I’d use the Import and Split command to break the edited version down according to whatever headings are present in that document. Which may or may not exactly parallel the original, depending on what happened in the transfer to/from ODT.

After you import and split, look at the resulting structure and decide whether you need to break it down further. Use the Document → Split command as needed to do so.

Once you’ve finished breaking the imported manuscript down you can – if you want to – drag the pieces to the appropriate points in the original outline. To do this without disrupting the original, use the Duplicate command to duplicate the entire (original) manuscript. Drag the edited versions into place, then delete the (duplicate) originals. Personally, though, I find that this is more trouble than it’s worth.

A general Scrivener principle though, is that manipulating documents is easier than moving chunks of text. Never copy and paste if you can accomplish the same thing with a document split/move/merge operation. The Outliner and Corkboard don’t go dormant just because you finished your draft. Edit: So, for instance, you could split and rearrange things as above, then merge the original and edited versions, then simply cut the original text. Relative to simply deleting the original documents, this has the advantage of preserving any document-specific metadata.