Importing from Tinderbox

Thanks, Hugh.

I couldn’t help but wonder if the irony of that occured to the governer of Arizona as she was signing the bill into law.

Steve

Not only did the irony strike me, but it also reminded me of the magnificent and empty panoramas I’ve enjoyed around the Apache Trail in Arizona.

H

I’m a lifelong resident of the northeast United States, but I love the southwest. Arizona and New Mexico are so beautiful, and have spent some amount of time out there, but I don’t think I’ve been on the Apache Trail.

Steve

http://www.2az.us/images/ohv-apache-trail-map.gif

Thanks for the visuals, Hugh. I’ve been near there – visiting Tonto National Monument – but I haven’t been on the Apache Trail. Is that a four-wheel drive dirt road, or a hiking trail?

Steve

Dirt road from Tortilla Flat, if not before. On the last trip I drove all the way to Apache Lake in a two-wheel drive rental car. This was some years ago, so the road may be paved now.

Tortilla Flat is a genuine mining “ghost” settlement, with not a hint of Disney-fication, as I remember. To European eyes, a real gem. Apache Lake was superb; I boated and swam. Not sure if I was permitted to do the latter. On that occasion the views back down the track towards the mountains on the drive back to Phoenix in the evening light were extraordinarily beautiful.

H

Last time I was in the southwest, I was able to spend about six weeks exploring New Mexico and Arizona – that was seven years ago. Your imagery has got me thinking it is time to return to Arizona (although I’ll be sure to bring my papers!).

Steve

Back on topic: Tinderbox 5.5 has been released. Its major new feature is sync-ing with Simplenote on the iPad, iPod or iPhone, like Notational Velocity.

H