Importing wikipedia articles doesn't work

I tried importing some webpages into the research folder today (and yes, it absolutely was the research folder I was importing into. I checked. Thrice), which gave me an error for every method except for importing whole webpages.

The webpage I was trying to import was the wikipedia article about brigs.
My first thought was that the webpage was somehow broken (or that scrivener disliked the images or whatever), so I tried several other wikipedia pages, some without any pictures at all, none of which worked.
This is both surprising (because I KNOW it used to work before 1.9 at least - maybe even with 1.9, not too sure about that) and incredibly annoying, since wikipedia is the webpage that I most commonly need to import.

I tried some other webpages afterward, some of which worked (like this SCP wiki page), so it’s not the entire thing that’s broken.

The interesting thing was the wide variety of error messages I got - sometimes the import progressed until after the RTF prompt and then returned a simple “failed to import” error, sometimes I got a “could not retrieve content at address error”.

Does anybody have a fix or a workaround for that? Importing my research was the main reason I bought Scrivener, so this is really kind of a bummer.

/EDIT: Is it because wikipedia’s switched to https? Is scrivener not able to import from https sources?

I’m assuming the wikipedia article you’re talking about is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brig

I’m using 1.8.6 and I was able to get it to “import” as a PDF via all three methods. I put import in quotes, because only the “PDF via Microsoft Office” option gave me a readable file in Scrivener. The "PDF via Internet Explorer gave me a long vertical strip with the navigation links on the side but nothing else (although the weblink shows in the bar at the bottom of the editor, allowing me to click it and open on the web). "PDF via WebKit gives me a blank editor with no weblink. But I didn’t get an error with any of these.

“Webpage Complete (MHT)” gives me a document with the weblink in the middle of the editor (I think I remember someone saying this was how it’s supposed to be in the Windows version; not sure, though).

The only import option that gave me an error was the “Plain Text” option, which says “Scrivener appears to be having trouble downloading the entire contents of this web page. Do you wish to ‘Import’ the content downloaded thus far or continue to ‘Wait’ and see if more data can be downloaded?” The box has three options: Import, Wait, and Abort. If I click Wait, it goes back to a slow progress bar for a while and then pops the error back up. I don’t know how many times it would take to get it to download everything, if that’s really the problem. If I click Import, I get another error box, saying “URL Import failed”. As it’s a plain text option and the webpage has pictures, this might be a problem. Not sure.

However, since I was able to get it to import with the other methods, I’d say either you have a problem with 1.9 or something on your system is wonky.

Oh great, then it’s just me. Now that’s reassuring… /sigh

Webpage Complete is the same for me; I’m also pretty sure that’s supposed to be that way.

I got the word import to work. Once. On opening the PDF I got a “this pdf is corrupted and can’t be opened” error.

Pretty sure it’s not my system, this used to work very well before and I didn’t really change anything. Tried out the compatibility mode for lulz, didn’t do anything. Neither did disabling the firewall (which would’ve been the next go-to solution - if something requiring an internet connection doesn’t work, it’s always the firewall.

Still didn’t find an https page that actually worked, so I’m fairly convinced there’s a connection.

Well, I’m going to wait for another answer for a bit, and if nobody else knows what’s going on here I’ll just try re-installing the entire thing.

(Also: Yes, that was the article in question. Forgot to link that in my first post, sorry.)

/EDIT: dangit, where are my manners. Thanks for testing this for me, much appreciated!

/EDIT2: re-installed, still doesn’t work and I’m a sad and confused writer now. If anybody has even the slightest idea what’s going wrong here, please help - this is bugging me so much right now, because I have no idea how to fix this.

/EDIT3:

Progress! Apparently importing over Word didn’t work because of the “do you want to use this software to always open text files yadda yadda yadda” popup which stubbornly refused to be disabled. This I can fix… I hope.

Webkit still returns an error, but again, only for https pages so I guess there’s something wrong on Scrivener’s side of things in 1.9 - either with webkit itself or its implementation. Would be nice if anybody with 1.9 can confirm this for me and/or find a way to fix it - webkit used to return the nicest PDF files when it was still working and I’d love to use it again.

/EDIT4: No, I can’t fix the Word popup. I hate word so much Dx Anayway, it kind of works if I can click it away fast enough. Still not a very good workaround, so I’m still looking for a proper fix

“Webkit still returns an error, but again, only for https pages so I guess there’s something wrong on Scrivener’s side of things in 1.9 - either with webkit itself or its implementation. Would be nice if anybody with 1.9 can confirm this for me and/or find a way to fix it - webkit used to return the nicest PDF files when it was still working and I’d love to use it again.”

I’m having this same issue with ver. 1.9. Really wish this was fixed. I’ve become so acclimated to storing webpages this way. :frowning: