Improved Word Count Tracking

Just a thought as I enter the revision/editing phase after completing first drafts on a few projects. I would love an expansion of the word counter to better track my progress while editing.

I use word counts to set my daily goals each day, but this is near impossible while revising as I’m constantly hacking and slashing the documents apart. Curious if it would be possible to have an option that will track deletions and additions separately (perhaps display them net of each other as it does now, but count them - on a per session basis - separately). I think this would help me get a feel of how much writing I’m actually doing so I have a basis to compare to my normal writing days (other than time spent, which can be wildly different in both phases).

Also, I was curious if an option could be implemented that records the overall Project Count every day. Just something that appends a document with a time stamp and the word count at that time stamp (perhaps this occurs on session resets or something similar). It would be wonderful to be able to produce a report based on these figures that shows progress on a per day basis over a period of time (for now just being able to extract the data would be great - no need for reports generated by Scrivener itself - though that would be nice as well).

Just my $0.02. I love the product and can’t stop promoting it to anyone I know that does any writing whatsoever.

I agree completely. I’m a full-time writer, and need to keep careful track of both my progress over time on a certain project and how much time I spend editing it. Both the “editing-tracker” and project progress history that yomatta mentions are features I would love to have. Scrivener is a great application as it is, but adding these improvements would make it even better!

There are no plans for anything like this, sorry. If you stop to consider what really counts as an addition or deletion - especially when you take into consideration cut, copy and paste - it really goes beyond machine intelligence. If you cut a paragraph from one section and paste it into another, for instance, to Scrivener that is one deletion and one addition, even though to you it is neither. This sort of thing is best managed in a dedicated app or in a spreadsheet.

Ah, came in to ask about the possibility of addition/deletion word counts, as I do that too - I write shell outlines in a scene, and then come and write the scene but delete the shell, and was hoping for a way to know what I actually wrote, despite deletions. But the explanation that it’s beyond the machine’s capabilities makes sense. I shall somehow survive! :slight_smile: Thanks for a great program, love love love it!

I hope it’s all right to answer Pam’s question with a suggestion: I always copy texts I intend to take out or change into a ‘trash’ file. Then again… I’m always too afraid to lose anything, so I save everything twice over, at least :slight_smile:

If you’re on the Mac version, you can have it exclude strikethrough text (you can put the strike-through line on selected text with CMD plus - ). So instead of deleting your outlines, just strike them through. Even on Windows, you can do that, and then later delete your shell outline text.

A couple of other ideas I just had regarding your outline:
Create separate documents for each shell outline, and un-check the “include in compile” option for that document. That should exclude it from your word count in the first place, but you’ll be able to view it in a Scrivenings session or a split editor next to the document where you put your actual writing. Trashing such a file, marked as not to be included in the compile, should keep your word counts stable as well.

There’s also the in-line annotations feature, which you can strip out during compile under the Footnotes/Comments section.