In the project sidebar, how move the headings in and out?

This has been driving me crazy for years, probably because I don’t know how to describe it. The older and older I get the more visually I think, so I could SHOW you what I mean with a screenshot but there’s no way to include one. So I’ll try to recreate what I’m talking about here:
In the Project sidebar:
Heading, is name of Project
So
PROJECT X
Under that, indented, there’s a folder. So
PROJECT X
Folder A
Under that I have a series of Text heading with sub-heads, like so…
PROJECT X
Folder A Where it Happened
Text Heading A California
Text: Los Angeles
Text: San Diego
Text: San Jose
Text Heading B Colorado
Text: Boulder
Text: Fort Collins
And so on.
My PROBLEM. I want to create a new Text Heading C Texas
But if I do that it tends to locate itself indented like Text: Fort Collins. When I want to it to INDENT as Text Heading B Colorado.
I imagine i’m using Scrivener wrong. I should never have set up my hierarchy that way. But I did and it’s a huge project and I can’t start again from scratch.
QUESTION: Is there a way to change how a heading is indented? Because if there is I haven’t found it.
Please.It’s driving me insane.

Can’t believe there’s no way to edit this!?
Okay, I’m asking about INDENTED AND OUTDENTING but when I careully composed this essay, with indenting, it came out without any. I should haver done it using html. And I can’t figure out how to delete it either. So I’m going to post the same thing but using html. Because I’ll bet this down’t make any sense the way it reads right now.

Edit → Move → Move Up/Down/Left/Right?

New users are restricted from posting images as an anti-spam measure. I’ll bump up your trust level so you can post a screenshot if you’re still stuck.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m not a new user, but I had to create a new password. I’ve been using scrivener and these boards for years… Thanks very much

Sorry, “users who the forum software believes to be new.” In any case, you should have full member privileges now.

This has been driving me crazy for years, probably because I don’t know how to describe it. The older and older I get the more visually I think, so I could SHOW you what I mean with a screenshot but there’s no way to include one. So I’ll try to recreate what I’m talking about here:
In the Project sidebar:
Heading, is name of Project
So
PROJECT X
Under that, indented, there’s a folder. So
PROJECT X
Folder A
Under that I have a series of Text heading with sub-heads, like so…
PROJECT X
 Folder A Where it Happened
  Text Heading A California
   Text: Los Angeles
   Text: San Diego
   Text: San Jose
  Text Heading B Colorado
   Boulder
  Fort Collins
And so on.
My PROBLEM. I want to create a new Text Heading C Texas
But if I do that it tends to locate itself indented like Text: Fort Collins. When I want to it to INDENT as Text Heading B Colorado.
I imagine i’m using Scrivener wrong. I should never have set up my hierarchy that way. But I did and it’s a huge project and I can’t start again from scratch.
QUESTION: Is there a way to change how a heading is indented? Because if there is I haven’t found it.
Please.It’s driving me insane.type or paste code here

Duplicate threads merged. – Mod.

Grateful to be able to post this screen shot. I create a subheading but it positions itself as a sub sub. How can I move it??? Here’s an image I hope?! I’ve tried typing a thousand words in this support board, but I can’t make it as clear as this graphic. Screen_Shot_2022-01-05_at_5_16_23_PM|612x492

Edit → Move → Move Left will out-dent the selected file(s). You may then need to move up or down to get them in the right place.

Sorry. Not able to describe the problem and unable to delete or edit previous posts. Glad to delete them if there is a way. The ability to post a screen shot ought to clarify the question.

Oh, thanks. Thanks. Simply couldn’t figure it out. for years now. dragging like mad didn’t work.

I use the arrow keys to move everything in or out in controlled fashion rather than drag which can be picky. I added arrow keys to toolbar and gives very good control should allow you to accomplish what you want.Screenshot 2022-01-06 043602

1 Like